ya, supposedly medical reasons

Array

School
    Electric City MMA
    I don't see what the big hoopla is

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester; 10th Planet St. Paul
    If he was so dehydrated that it required a doctor to force him to rehydrate, then he didn't cut properly in the first place during camp. So the issue of making weight still stands. You're a professional. You know when the fight is scheduled and you know how much you weigh. Your job is to come in at weight or move up a weight class. If you can't cut weight in a healthy manner during camp, hire yourself a better nutritionist and trainers.

This also begs the question that's been around here a few times: Is the size advantage so substantial that it necessitates such a severe cut? At the amateur level I am very much in favor of same-day weigh-ins; at the pro level I'm not so sure but I'm leaning more in favor of it.

AJ is HUGE for a middleweight. Let's say he got a title shot at Anderson Silva and actually made weight. He rehydrates perfectly before the fight and steps into the cage 15-20lbs heavier than Anderson. Does that 15 pounds make such a difference that it is worth trading off the time you *could* have spent working on developing your boxing and wrestling to face such a dangerous opponent?

Array

School
    10th Planet San Francisco
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Arnold View Post
    I don't see what the big hoopla is
    Well, since Vitor didn't let him completely off the hook it's not as big of a deal as it could have been. I admit, it's hard to imagine a fighter being brazen enough to intentionally come in 10+ pounds overweight, but there are no asterisks next to a W on your record, and unless people make a hoopla about stuff like this, someone might be desperate enough for an edge to try it.

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    Well this is what is stupid about the weight cut issue. Vitor and UFC says that Anthony cannot be more than 205 by tonight.
    They are making this assumption since if Anthony would have made weight he would have regain about 20 pounds in 24 hours. They are also estimating Vitor to be about 205 by the time the fight starts. So I am asking this to all the people who kept on bashing on me a couple of months ago when I was defending same day weigh ins. What is the purpose of it now? Why can't Vitor and Anthony both come in at 205 at the day of the fight? Just move every weight class 20 pounds up. Instead of 205 have 225, 185 is the new 205. It is dumb to have grown man walking around tough and saying that they fight at the 125 or 135 pound weight classes anyways.

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield
    It's amazing to me that he can go from being so sick and dehydrated that a doctor has to come in and tell you to take fluids on the day of weigh ins and then rehydrate and fight the next day in the UFC against a top level fighter like Vitor.
    superherojiujitsuacademy.com
    http://www.defensesoap.com/idevaffil...ate.php?id=327
    10P4L
    F&V forever
    Ps 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Ge 32:24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
    Blackbelt 3/28/13

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12