Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Array

School
    none yet

I have never done martial and need advice.

I have so many questions I don't know where to start. I guess I am looking for advice on which martial art is best for self defense? I had a friend recommend jiu jitsu. Is this true? Most things I have read say Krav maga is best for self defense. I guess I am just seeking advice and help.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    I would say jiu jitsu is a great style for self defense. Like they say "rapist don't box, they wrestle." Jiu jitsu is a good grappling art so being able to control things when someone tries to grab you is a big plus imo
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    none yet
    I have never heard that. I didn't know they said that. Any other thoughts?

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Doing an art/style that does live training (testing techniques against a fully resisting opponent), is in my opinion, the only way to give yourself an idea what full force feels like and how to deal with it. From someone who spent years in a traditional art, for self-defense purposes, if you’re not in a system that does full force train regularly, you’re wasting your time.

Brazilian Jiu-jitsu is the only art that offers you this AND safety. A striking art simply can’t offer you both (though you can go FAIRLY hard and get lots of benefits).
    Best of luck to you!!!
    P.S.
    Don’t forget that if your training isn’t fun, you won’t be good at it. Jiu-Jitsu is fun for a lot of people, as are a number of other styles. Try several and pick one that’s fun for you!!!

Jiu Jitsu forget the rest.

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    If you're looking to defend yourself immediately and effectively, nothing and I mean nothing *other than awareness,* is as effective as a gun. That being said, jiu jitsu simply works. And like Brian Debes said, and I'll rephrase in my own words, whatever martial art you take, if it's not trained against a resistant to fully resistant opponent, it's not going to work in a real combat situation. Jiu jitsu is beautiful because even if you "train light," you're still going for positions and of course finishes. Jiu jitsu is probably the best choice here, other than a good solid MMA school which is basically muay thai and wrestling combined with nogi jiu jitsu. Just be wary of tae kwon do and karate schools that hire a bjj instructor and call themselves an "MMA" school.

Array

School
    10th Planet St. Paul
    I will teach you Krav Maga right here and now in three easy steps.

1.Poke him in the eyes.
    2.Kick him in the nuts.
    3.Run away!

Now go learn Jiu-Jitsu.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    Troll?

That's only the way beginners do Krav Maga. The pro way of doing it has an additional "2B: repeat step 2 for at least 30 times. Then proceed to step 1".

Seriously though, asking Jiu Jitsu practicioners what is best for self-defence, especially rather zealous ones like the ones on this board (which I'm certainly not implying is a bad thing, mind you), will not give you an objective answer, just like you will have everyone telling you to go do judo if you ask the question on a judo forum. Self-defence is a very, very broad term, and different situations require different approaches. Personally, my favorite self-defence sport is sprinting. You should probably read some stuff over at www.nnsd.com, which is rather intimidating in its vastness, but very, very thorough and makes a lot of sense.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast