Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Ann Arbor

Compliments to Jiu-Jitsu

I'm trying to get some ideas from some more seasoned Jiu-Jitsu practitioners than my self, what kinds of excersises, work out routines, diets, supplements, stretching or yoga programs do you follow. What things do you do to improve and compliment your Jiu-Jitsu. This would really be helpful to me and I'm sure some others as well.

also if anyone has tried Ginnastica Natural I'd like to hear about how that worked for you, It's something I'm interested in trying.

and one more thing..... is anyone on here competeing in the MBJJC tournament in Michigan?

thanks!

Array

School
    Griphouse, Glasgow, Scotland
    To be honest dude the best thing to do to improve jiu jitsu is to train more jiu jitsu.

Array

School
    10th Planet Sherman
    Honestly, ginnastica natural isn't too bad. I've tried it a few times. I prefer Rebel Yoga though ;D as far as supplements go, you probably don't need any. Most people don't. Haha. I guess it depends on what you're trying to do. Stretch and drill every chance you get. I'm sure Eddie covers a billion stretches in the MTS videos.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ann Arbor
    Maybe I shouldve worded it better.... things that can compliment your Jiu Jitsu OTHER THAN training more Jiu Jitsu haha

Look up wrestling exercises and conditioning. It translates into bjj perfectly and even more so if you don't use a gi.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremysparks View Post
    Maybe I shouldve worded it better.... things that can compliment your Jiu Jitsu OTHER THAN training more Jiu Jitsu haha
    Any type of physical activity will help: surfing, swimming, bball, breakdancing, kickboxing... But, you run the risk of getting hurt doing those activities. Might as well get hurt while training jiu jitsu. It's hilarious how many times I see someone, and ask how they got messed up, and they say it was from another activity.... Damn, they gotta be out of jits, because they were hiking... Damn!!!

Array

School
    The Cave Academy, Pacifica
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Rick View Post
    Any type of physical activity will help: surfing, swimming, bball, breakdancing, kickboxing... But, you run the risk of getting hurt doing those activities. Might as well get hurt while training jiu jitsu. It's hilarious how many times I see someone, and ask how they got messed up, and they say it was from another activity.... Damn, they gotta be out of jits, because they were hiking... Damn!!!
    I totally agree with you. Swimming is a great way to work out your cardio with super low impact to your body. Also, if your in a lap pool, it highly unlikely that you are going to get injured. In terms cardio work outs with low impact to your body I would go Swimming->Biking->Running.

Also, if you ambitious, training for a triathlon will drastically improve your endurance. I know that Nick Diaz loves to do them, and I can tell you that once you can swim a mile, bike twenty five miles, then run another six, that 45 minutes of rolling at the end of class will feel like nothing.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Yoga, and a solid core conditioning program similar to cross fit.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    Easton
    parkour

cycling

hiking

climbing

also surfing if you can.

*self help books

Saulo Ribeiro made the point that you need to have another physical, dedicated activity, unrelated to Jiu-jitsu. Activities that uses your body and mind in totally different ways will help with balance and personal growth in general.

I'll be surfing Central America all next month for this very reason!

just roll

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast