Array

School
    red river bjj wichita falls texas

My First match ever - double arm bar

Dunno why i even tried it. I barely even remember the match with so much adrenaline going as you can tell, i tried way to hard at the very beginning lol...

by the way, this small tournament was held in oklahoma, and i was the only person in the whole tourny that used the lockdown. The coaches didnt even know what to about it... lol.. I was totally surprised.

(wish i had a better camera angle..)

any advice or comments on anything you see?

Sprawl when a guy touches your leg. You were busy trying to take the back and that's why you fell. No plum clinch when standing. I better wrestler would have tossed u.

In half guard immediately get your head as deep as possible. Try to touch your right knee to your head so that he can't get that guillotine going. That could have ended badly.

If in half guard and your head is not at the proper depth use your right hand on your opponents left bicep to ensure he cant touch your head. NEVER LET SOMEONE TOUCH YOUR HEAD IN HALF GUARD

Array

School
    I suck with take downs, as well as take down defense. and your totally right, i thought hey i could jump on this dudes back. nope. after that i pulled guard in my other matches because i knew i was going to get thrown

when im in that deep half guard, i try to get my head deep (ear against bellybutton) and everyone i roll against goes for that guillotine or darce choke. I'm trying to picture what you mean by get my right knee to my head?

so at :27 instead of pushing on his right knee/thigh i should have been pushing on his bicep so that he had zero chance to get me in that guillotine?

Array

School
    10th planet hollywood
    dude that was awesome congrats!

Array

School
    Going Rogue Again
    have some rep points

Array

School
    Thanks guys, a little background. the tournament took place in a gracie jiu jitsu place, (not hating on them) but i found it pretty funny no one knew even what the lockdown was or how to get out of it. if you watch my gi matches, you can hear one of the coaches getting frustrated " your gonna have to suck it up and get out of that half guard, " and " push on the knee!" lol...

but i come from a school where the instructor is a gracie barra guy, and (we are mostly all in the air force - so that may explain his open-ness ) He is old school, but really open to new stuff. so i have been watching videos and such of 10th planet stuff (thats why I'm here and bringing it in, and he has been really open to the stuff. so i appreciate the input and am glad to have a good instructor open to it. I didn't know how rare it was... I have been training for a year, and this was my first tournament. i went in as a 4 stripe white belt.

Also, a tip to anyone wanting to compete, but hasn't yet... Dont go crazy and burn yourself out in the first matches haha. I almost didn't want to even compete in gi. (no gi was first) but went for it anyway..