Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    Not as often as I should.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester; 10th Planet St. Paul
    All the time. Especially after I've been out of action for more than a week. Working from bad spots is usually a lot more exhausting and I always need the conditioning work. The more tired you are, the more you have to use good technique. I try to wear myself out in the first couple of rounds (which doesn't take much...) by giving up the pass to side control, pulling half guard, or giving up the mount. Then I try to get from there to wherever my goal is for the week. Sometimes that works out well for me, sometimes not so much.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester; 10th Planet St. Paul
    In a similar vein...

I often go to beginner class in the evening because right now that's how my schedule works out. That means most of the folks I end up rolling with are pretty new. Some of them a very athletic, strong, and fast, but nevertheless very new to jitz. So my question is: When you guys are going with guys who are brand new (and not spazzing) how much do you give them? For me, I know there were lots of times Scott would let me go a long way down the Basic Path or get him in a bad spot or something before defending and countering -- and then he'd show me where I went wrong.

I never just attack the hell out of a new guy unless he's being a little dickish (which I've only come across once at St Paul). But there are times when I'll give up a lot to let someone get some work in.

I guess what I'm asking is: how much do you just let them have, and how much do you make them work for it? I know my defense can shut them down and chances are pretty good I can just impose my will from the start on offense. I don't want to be a fish because that isn't helping them at all; I'm not just going to hand over my arm to poor technique. But at the same time, it doesn't help them if I just stuff everything they throw at me. It is also somewhat counterproductive to just tap the hell out of them with no mercy. So I'm looking for how to find balance. I'd love to hear what you purple and brown belts are thinking especially!

Yup I start in bad spots every other roll
    "If you believe, then you have already taken the first step towards your achievement."

Rickson Gracie

www.Primate-Fitness.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    I give up side control, mount and New York/chill dog, most frequently to newer (but safe) people. I don’t give up the back or the truck as much. And you will notice an inadequacy in my defense and escapes from these positions, so now I AM giving them up... and getting tapped some. I think there is a misconception that you will only get better from a roll you were trying really hard in. I always try to flow out as well….

Array

School
    Counter Violence LLC
    All the time.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chi-Raq - 10PSOG
    Yes
    Panda travels the 10th Planet and flows free.....10th Planet Special Operations Group for life!
    The Shadiest Mother Fucker of them all....

Yes.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hyatt View Post
    In a similar vein...

I often go to beginner class in the evening because right now that's how my schedule works out. That means most of the folks I end up rolling with are pretty new. Some of them a very athletic, strong, and fast, but nevertheless very new to jitz. So my question is: When you guys are going with guys who are brand new (and not spazzing) how much do you give them? For me, I know there were lots of times Scott would let me go a long way down the Basic Path or get him in a bad spot or something before defending and countering -- and then he'd show me where I went wrong.

I never just attack the hell out of a new guy unless he's being a little dickish (which I've only come across once at St Paul). But there are times when I'll give up a lot to let someone get some work in.

I guess what I'm asking is: how much do you just let them have, and how much do you make them work for it? I know my defense can shut them down and chances are pretty good I can just impose my will from the start on offense. I don't want to be a fish because that isn't helping them at all; I'm not just going to hand over my arm to poor technique. But at the same time, it doesn't help them if I just stuff everything they throw at me. It is also somewhat counterproductive to just tap the hell out of them with no mercy. So I'm looking for how to find balance. I'd love to hear what you purple and brown belts are thinking especially!
    Hi Jayson, you can give up all you want.. You'll be better off for it down the road. Let them sink in 70% of an rnc, or 50% of an arm bar... then see how fast you tap or how well you escape. You'll be exposed really quick, but the flipside is you'll know exactly what works and what needs work, really quick.

Then there are times that you'll want good solid will-imposing rolls, so let loose, and have fun and keep learning. It's endless.

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    for sure!! All the time with my real training partners who get it. I also do it with newbies. New people think they are great and tap the "teacher". Then they never show up again because they have nothing to learn from coming to class. This weeds out the truely weak!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast