Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    GBBJJ

Large and in Charge !!!!

I'm a heavy set guy and I'm trying my best to get to where I need to be to participate in the system. Can anyone/everyone give me ideas about what they do and what I can do to gain and better my flexibility. At the moment I have my girlfriend stretch my legs at night and lean me over in butterfly and I'll get in to my butterfly as tight as I can (which isn't to far) and have my 8 yr old stand on one leg and my 6yr old stand on the other. Any help would be great!!!!!

K Madden

Be Consistant.

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Madden View Post
    Be Consistant.
    You spelled that TOTALLY wrong Kendell.

It's Beeh Konzistehnt.

Array

School
    GBBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Madden View Post
    Be Consistant.
    Yeah man Giving it everything I got. Been doing the stretch's that are shown on MTS 34

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester; 10th Planet St. Paul
    What Kiko said. Also, what Ken said.

I'd also add don't get too caught up early on with moves that require flexibility you don't have. And remember that movement and position are the other 2/3 of the equation. Learn to position yourself optimally, e.g. not flat on your back; and you'll find it requires less flexibility than you think to use a lot of the Rubber Guard. Its when you try to use flexibility you don't have to compensate for poor position that you end up injured; or at least stuffed and frustrated.

Also, avoid the temptation to go all big-guy on your partners. By that I mean, take the time to put yourself in positions that require the techniques you want to use. You only get better with reps, right? There is a terrible temptation to use size and strength to "beat" smaller guys when you're rolling. When a little guy is giving you hell, your ego starts to tell you to just beast him, get the tap already, and put this squirrelly little bastard in his place. I've run into a rash of big guys lately who've all figured out the big guy formula for winning at all costs while rolling: hip bump sweep-to-mount, smash arm to floor, crank americana; lather, rinse, repeat. That's great against smaller guys who don't know that one yet, but your ego doesn't make your jitz better. If you want to improve your Rubber Guard, you're gonna have to find yourself on your back and maybe deal with some frustration for a while.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cran18 View Post
    I'm a heavy set guy and I'm trying my best to get to where I need to be to participate in the system. Can anyone/everyone give me ideas about what they do and what I can do to gain and better my flexibility. At the moment I have my girlfriend stretch my legs at night and lean me over in butterfly and I'll get in to my butterfly as tight as I can (which isn't to far) and have my 8 yr old stand on one leg and my 6yr old stand on the other. Any help would be great!!!!!
    Just keep at it! Theres a couple big guys in the system that are killers so theres hope for you yet
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    no school in the area
    it's easer set then dunn ! I'm too heavy (overweight) also but I have decided me to join a gym. For a year I train over there 2 sometimes 3 times a week and I've learned a lot about stretching, not just your legs but your whole body. I am also going to adjust my eating habits and that certainly helps soon I'm in that uncomfortable lotus.
    Every moment of the day you can stretch a certain way. At work in my lunch break always fifteen minutes left and then right just single lotus. matter of consequence ....

Array

School
    GBBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hyatt View Post
    What Kiko said. Also, what Ken said.

I'd also add don't get too caught up early on with moves that require flexibility you don't have. And remember that movement and position are the other 2/3 of the equation. Learn to position yourself optimally, e.g. not flat on your back; and you'll find it requires less flexibility than you think to use a lot of the Rubber Guard. Its when you try to use flexibility you don't have to compensate for poor position that you end up injured; or at least stuffed and frustrated.

Also, avoid the temptation to go all big-guy on your partners. By that I mean, take the time to put yourself in positions that require the techniques you want to use. You only get better with reps, right? There is a terrible temptation to use size and strength to "beat" smaller guys when you're rolling. When a little guy is giving you hell, your ego starts to tell you to just beast him, get the tap already, and put this squirrelly little bastard in his place. I've run into a rash of big guys lately who've all figured out the big guy formula for winning at all costs while rolling: hip bump sweep-to-mount, smash arm to floor, crank americana; lather, rinse, repeat. That's great against smaller guys who don't know that one yet, but your ego doesn't make your jitz better. If you want to improve your Rubber Guard, you're gonna have to find yourself on your back and maybe deal with some frustration for a while.
    @Jason Hyatt That's all good stuff to know. Lucky for me the only ppl that know how to trip my nerves are my kids. Lol @Brent Smith Also glad to know I'm not the only one and that there is hope.

Array

School
    GBBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by jolanda olsthoorn View Post
    it's easer set then dunn ! I'm too heavy (overweight) also but I have decided me to join a gym. For a year I train over there 2 sometimes 3 times a week and I've learned a lot about stretching, not just your legs but your whole body. I am also going to adjust my eating habits and that certainly helps soon I'm in that uncomfortable lotus.
    Every moment of the day you can stretch a certain way. At work in my lunch break always fifteen minutes left and then right just single lotus. matter of consequence ....
    I hear that. I 'm a stay at home dad so I stretch through out the day and I have to walk my kids to school so that's another time I get it in. I have also changed my eating habits. I have went from full on burger smashing to ( some may thing I'm cray or over trying but..) I'm now a vegetarian and It's working out fine. It's just knock off the weight. Gotta keep pushing! Good luck to u Jolanda as well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast