Array

School
    Wander Braga Upland, CA

The Quick 'N Dirty Jiu Jitsu Checkers Guide

I would love to hear what ya'll have to say about a drill I've recently developed. The details are on my blog at URL: http://www.millerwilliamsaction.com/...y-jj-checkers/

A short description: "...this entire drill was created to address a few very big problems with Brazilian Jiu Jitsu training in most gyms around the world. The problems arise from excess ego, a shortage of positional drilling, and the weight differences and skill levels among training partners in a particular gym. Jiu Jitsu Checkers cleverly addresses these issues...Purpose: Emphasizing position dominance over submission completion frequency. Drilling each position while handicapping more experienced players for the benefit of both partners."

I look forward to hearing thoughts of fellow open minded 10thPJJ'ers!

Miller Williams
    www.millerwilliamsaction.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    While I’ve seen several things that go by the name “Jiujitsu checkers”, I haven’t seen this exactly. I love position specific drilling, but my first impression is that this adds to much complexity to an art that is already very complex. If you like it, position drilling can’t hurt you. I see no need to keep score though. I thought you wanted to reduce competitiveness?

Your second idea, (the one with multiple people engaging at the same time) is similar to a game played at a Gracie Barra I visited. They called it Jiujitsu chess. I believe it is dangerous and nonproductive. While advanced and ego free practitioners can play it safely, they would usually rather be doing something more sport specific.