Array

School
    Xtreme Jiujitsu Yokohama

Technique advice

Hi Guys,

I have a question I am hoping ya'll can give me advice on. I am having some trouble getting the lock down on shorter guys. I'm 6'4" and most of the guys I roll with are shorter than me. I am noticing that they can slip right out of my lock down with their shorter legs. BTW I am training in Japan.
    What I am noticing is that I can get the lock down but when I try to extend it to go to a whip up they slip right out.
    Any advice on how I can tweek my technique to get it to lock in?

Thanks in advance.
    JD
    @Jiujitsu_Jedi on Twitter

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    watch the vid of Eddie and Marcello. Eddie comments on how tough MG is to lockdown. i think part of that might be MG's short strong legs. It's tough, I'm 5"11 and roll againts 5'0 all the time, but you can see how the lockdown master deals with it.

Array

School
    10th Planet Corona AOK
    Make sure before you extend your legs to pinch your knees together tight, then straiten your legs out while still pinching your knees tightly and make sure your toes are pointed to the ceiling. Hope this helps
    No Jiu Jitsu, No Life
    Know Jiu Jitsu, Know Life

Array

School
    blank
    if you ask me i suggest you forget the lockdown and start working half-butterfly or full butterfly against shorter guys. your longer legs put them at a serious disadvantage if you are good with your movement in this position.

a dude i train with does the same to me but i feel like i can sweep and control much better this way. different story if you're the smaller one.

hope that helps

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox!
    Working on your squeeze might help. I've practiced mine by tying a few of those pool noodles together and locking that down. Also, ankle sleeves provide more friction if you're not already wearing them.

knee shield all day, if you underhook that other leg i then switch to the lockdown to pass the guard after i sweep.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    Yes. A long leg vs. shorter leg match should see this all the time. Test locking down and also play with curling your knees to you and stretch out again.... But always be ready to recognize the knee slide pass....
    1) Recognize the knee slide pass, and circle your outside lockdown leg to his front thigh.
    2) It's now a butterfly hook.
    -Be sure to overhook the arm of the lockdown side before doing the leg whip to butterfly.
    -If you underhook, it's not a bad thing, just be aware the the darce as he tries to pass and sprawl at the same time.
    3) Shrimp out to your lockdown side.
    4) Use your opposite hand to pimp out his hip, or knee for that matter.
    -Proceed to butterfly for your sweeps.
    -OR-
    -Look for omoplata, or bellydown armbar for submissions.

Array

School
    Xtreme Jiujitsu Yokohama
    Thanks for all the advice! I'm going to work on it.