Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester

24 year old dies from rear naked choke

A Louisiana man died at his own "Wrestlemania 28" party after he refused to "tap out" of his younger, much smaller cousin's "rear naked choke hold," causing him to stop breathing, police said.

Stephen A. Arceneaux III, a 24-year-old from Destrehan, was pronounced dead at 10:39 p.m. Sunday night, The Times-Picayune reported.

Arceneaux had invited a number of friends to his home to watch the pay-per-view professional wrestling event.

He and his cousin, aged 14, began wrestling on an inflated mattress at the party and the teenager, who weighed just 110 pounds (50kg), placed his arm around the 220-pound (100kg) Arceneaux's neck.

Witnesses said Arcenaux was in the hold for 30 to 40 seconds, but refused to give up or "tap out."

When one of the witnesses saw Arceneaux turning blue, they told the youngster to let go, but by that stage he had already stopped breathing, the report said.

Arceneaux's girlfriend tried unsuccessfully to revive him before he was transported to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

No arrests have been made and the investigation is continuing.

"It's bizarre," said Sheriff's Office spokesman Capt. Pat Yoes. "We're still investigating it. But when you have violent horseplay like that, it just goes to show you that anything can happen."

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    It's strange that he would die after only 30 to 40 seconds, isn't it? I thought brain death took 6 to 9 minutes of lack of oxygen. Maybe he had a heart attack during the episode...
    Too bad that no-one there knew CPR. Very important to learn, IMO.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    They shouldn't be playing around if they don't know what they are doing too. I'm guessing he went to sleep and the kid still had the choke on. I think the time it takes to do damage at that point is pretty quickly

Array

School
    Counter Violence LLC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Gates View Post
    They shouldn't be playing around if they don't know what they are doing too. I'm guessing he went to sleep and the kid still had the choke on. I think the time it takes to do damage at that point is pretty quickly
    THIS. Can't tap and refuse to tap are two different things.

Array

School
    na
    id like to know if they had been drinking or not that would most def play a factor

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurzy View Post
    It's strange that he would die after only 30 to 40 seconds, isn't it? I thought brain death took 6 to 9 minutes of lack of oxygen. Maybe he had a heart attack during the episode...
    Too bad that no-one there knew CPR. Very important to learn, IMO.
    From what I know, average time to sleep is between 8-10 seconds, brain damage occurs between 12 and 15 seconds, and death around 20 when it comes to a RNC. It's not strange at all my good sir.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Yeah, cutting off the circulation to the brain completely is different from something like drowning or whatever. Considering the technique closes off both carotid arteries completely.

I haven't really done any research on it (and I'm a bjj noob), so I don't doubt what you're saying. I just haven't seen any info specifically relating to it. There must be some "scientific" data out there somewhere though.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Do they even have rear nakeds in wwe? I know undertaker has done gogos and triangles. These kids watch too much wwe and mma I guess

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Gates View Post
    Do they even have rear nakeds in wwe? I know undertaker has done gogos and triangles. These kids watch too much wwe and mma I guess
    likely too much wwe. If they watched a lot of mma theyd know homie was out, not "refusing to tap."

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    This is the stupid crap that is holding Back mma being legal in new York

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast