Array

School
    GB Freestyle Judo Club, Holly BJJ

One arm jiu jitsu

I've had a torn rotator cuff for a while now. I have been working on my one arm 10th planet jiu jitsu to prevent any further injury but my biggest problem is if my opponent gets to side control. I was wondering if any body had any suggestions? Half guard has been quit different as well as having to modify rubber guard. Any suggestion would be helpful. Thanks

Array

School
    In my mind
    I have one junk shoulder and one trashed shoulder lol. Seriously, I've had over a hundred dislocations of my left shoulder recorded at my local hospital. Of course I had to modify things as well, but the real secret is yoga bro. I roll a minimum of an hour six days a week now. If it weren't for yoga strengthening what's left of my shoulders, I wouldn't be grappling at all. Look into it bro, or feel free to ask any questiones :-).

Array

School
    GB Freestyle Judo Club, Holly BJJ
    Is there a specific kind that you found works best? I've seen a shit load of different kinds. Wish I had a rebel yoga DVD lol. Thanks bro.

Array

School
    Alliance Jiu-Jitsu Orlando
    No doubt! I wish I had a rebel yoga DVD too!

Tony, OVER A HUNDRED DISLOCATIONS?!?!?!! DAMN!!!! That's crazy! Sounds like you have naturally hypermobile shoulders. Might buy you a little bit extra time if someone is slapping a kimura on you or whatnot... but you're gonna have to stay on top of that to make sure your shoulder doesn't blow out again.

Array

School
    In my mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Weise View Post
    No doubt! I wish I had a rebel yoga DVD too!

Tony, OVER A HUNDRED DISLOCATIONS?!?!?!! DAMN!!!! That's crazy! Sounds like you have naturally hypermobile shoulders. Might buy you a little bit extra time if someone is slapping a kimura on you or whatnot... but you're gonna have to stay on top of that to make sure your shoulder doesn't blow out again.
    Not hypermobile at all brotha. Just a misplaced few years chasing a prca buckle and a metric asston of bull riding. My first dilocation came from about a 15 launch where I hit the dirt with arm extended and upsids down. That completely destroyed my rotator, ligaments, and tendons. My right shoulder came from a flying omoplata at a tourney. Oh, and the devil wing collar bone came from an incident involving snow sledding and a flower pot rofl. Hell, I've had double dislocations from simply putting my shirt on. As far as yoga goes, I really couldn't offer advice since I only use a bunch of garage sale
    dvd's hehe. However, the Dr.'s say that it is the only thing allowing me to actively practice jiu jitsu. One even said I had a freakeshlyla

Array

School
    In my mind
    Damned phone! Anyway, one Dr. said I had a freakeshly large amount of shoulder and surrounding muscle which is keeping the dislocations way down now. Jay Chow is very in tune with the yoga scene. I'm sure he could offer you some great styles..

Array

School
    10th Planet jiu jitsu Orange park
    If you have a torn RTC you need to have it fixed. It will not get better in time and the muscle will retract and shrink to a a point it will not be able to be fixed. Then you bought yourself a total shoulder in the future. Look it up. That is if it is a full thickness tear. if not maybe Injection with PT will help.

I injured my shoulder really bad a little over a month ago. I couldn't even lift up my arm. Then about 3 weeks ago, this agro black belt just ripped out an armbar on that shoulder and fixed it 100%. No pain anymore and full mobility. I was so stoked haha. One arm jiu jitsu will help focus on your hooks. I am actually glad I was handicap for a little.

Array

School
    In my mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Art "ART OF WAR" Belarde View Post
    If you have a torn RTC you need to have it fixed. It will not get better in time and the muscle will retract and shrink to a a point it will not be able to be fixed. Then you bought yourself a total shoulder in the future. Look it up. That is if it is a full thickness tear. if not maybe Injection with PT will help.
    Indeed! Above all have it diagnosed by a Doctor. My band aid was simply because I have no insurance and am below poverty level lol. My only hope now is a complete new shoulder on the left side as Art said. Take care of it properly if you have the means.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Yoga helps?
    My left shoulder has been coming out for years. It started with Wakeboarding, then rock climing and TaeKwon Do, then it got bad enough that it came out when I did a handstand in a pool underwater, and then it started coming out in my sleep at night.
    Not as often as Tony's, only around 40 times, but after it came out a few times in my sleep I thought "fuck this" and arranged for surgury. I go in for surgury in June.

But the Yoga thing peaks my curiousity. Any particular suggestions you can make, Tony?