Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    I can't hate on him. Success is the best marketing. It can still get cheesy though. Haha.

Array

School
    GBBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    It's genius.

For the rest of our lives when someone says "Kimura" we will think of David Avellan.

And I also think it's funny that we are doing the same thing to him that people have done to Eddie for years.

"He didn't invent that stuff; it has been around forever."

"That's not a Kimura (Rubber Guard) it's a Double Wrist Lock (High Guard). They've been doing that in Catch Wrestling (Brazil) for years!"

Lloyd Irvin and the Avellan Brothers are brilliant marketers. One day when I am worth talking about and following in an email list, I'm gonna take these ideas and go nuts with them.
    I agree with Brandon. For those that are on his email list he sends a ton of free videos. Inspirational newsletters. He holds free webinars all the time. I think David Avellan and his brother Marcos are good dudes and mean well... That's just my opinion!

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePC18 View Post
    I agree with Brandon. For those that are on his email list he sends a ton of free videos. Inspirational newsletters. He holds free webinars all the time. I think David Avellan and his brother Marcos are good dudes and mean well... That's just my opinion!

I think you're totally right. I signed up for his newsletter after you posted this a couple days ago, and I have already recieved a bunch of videos!

I am regretting not buying the KTS DVD set now that it sold out this fast, because I am a low-level BJJ player and the kimura sounds like a good move for noobs like me. But I will rape that sherdog thread that someone posted with the Kimura links to make up for it.

For $200 you might get 30 minutes worth of material on a DVD, on 6 DVDs.

Alternatively, there's
    Infinite Jiu-jitsu: Armbar and Kimura Game DVD 3 by Carlos Machado - $50
    King of the Kimura DVD with Chris Brennan - $40
    Double Wrist Lock DVD with Billy Robinson - $50

I'd stick with these.

Successful marketing only helps BJJ if these guys who make millions (Avellan claims his sold out Kimura Trap System has made him $100k already, and he and his prother have made $4million in the last 4 years) actually invest that into the sport, setting up new gyms and forming their own competitions for people to openly take part in.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ Gould View Post
    For $200 you might get 30 minutes worth of material on a DVD, on 6 DVDs.

Alternatively, there's
    Infinite Jiu-jitsu: Armbar and Kimura Game DVD 3 by Carlos Machado - $50
    King of the Kimura DVD with Chris Brennan - $40
    Double Wrist Lock DVD with Billy Robinson - $50

I'd stick with these.

Successful marketing only helps BJJ if these guys who make millions (Avellan claims his sold out Kimura Trap System has made him $100k already, and he and his prother have made $4million in the last 4 years) actually invest that into the sport, setting up new gyms and forming their own competitions for people to openly take part in.
    Honestly I don't believe he owes it to the sport. Would it be cool to see, yes. But if you're able to properly market your product and make a six figure paycheck you deserve to do whatever you want with that money.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    Honestly I don't believe he owes it to the sport. Would it be cool to see, yes. But if you're able to properly market your product and make a six figure paycheck you deserve to do whatever you want with that money.
    Of course. It was more in response to the other posters who said successful marketing helps BJJ, and my opinion of what that actually would entail.

Array

School
    Freestyle Fighting Academy
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ Gould View Post
    KJ, good to see you on this forum. I'm glad that you couldn't get enough of my brother and I on Sherdog so you had to talk about us on this forum as well I like you KJ, I have a buddy of mine from high school that you remind me of. However, the statement I quoted above, it seems that you insinuated that the financial success of my brother and have not helped the BJJ community. If I'm wrong with my assumption, my apologies.

But since you are an obvious fan, I'd like to share with you a few of the things I've done to help contribute to the BJJ and MMA community.

I have promoted 18 kickboxing, MMA, and grappling shows in Florida. I was the official NAGA promoter in Florida for years before giving it back to Kipp Kollar so that I could dedicate my time fully to my gyms. I have two MMA gyms that I opened up (not affiliates but schools I have lease agreements with) that together have about a thousand students (back in 2010, my Miami gym had over 1,000 students by itself). As a result, just about every single MMA and BJJ gym in south Florida has an instructor or assistant instructor that got their start at my gym.

With a thousand students and our Miami facility being open 24 hours a day, I have a staff of over 30 employees that are able to make a living by training and teaching martial arts. Those 30 people don't work side jobs - they make enough with their jobs to chase their martial arts dream full time.

My brother and I have blogs where we have been giving away free videos and emails. Outside of my gym website email list, I started a new website, MarcosAvellan.com, which I have been giving away free emails and videos since November of 2011. So far, I haven't put out any products, I've just been having fun building my list and giving free stuff. I lost count, but I think I've put out over 60 videos on that email list. On Youtube, I've put out over 400 videos sharing techniques, my experiences training abroad, martial arts philosophy, and more. All my email lists together have over 18,000 people on it that I've been sharing martial arts knowledge with for the past 11 years that I've been teaching.

I have TWO fighter houses where I currently house 8 fighters. I pay for ALL their bills so that they can train full time. Five of them were recruited as white belts - three of them as blue belts. Not to put anybody's personal business out there - but one of them was homeless and had never done martial arts before. I saw something special about this person, took him in, and now that person has been through my instructor course, business training, internet training, and has a grappling record of 12-1, is about to get the blue belt, and will be making his ammy MMA debut soon.

I have coached literally thousands of grappling matches and hundreds of MMA fights. I've coached three grapplers into the ADCC and a FILA world champion. In MMA, I've coached guys in all the big shows (Bodogfight, EliteXC, WEC, Strikeforce, TUF, and the UFC).

For martial arts instructors, I am a business consultant. I am one of Master Lloyd Irvin's top speakers for his MMA Millionaire's group - and as of right now, I have collected literally over 150 testimonials from martial art gym owners that have said that I have changed their lives forever with my help. I have helped gym owners go from broke with 60 students to now having over 700 students and living debt free. Not only did I help those owners - but I helped them spread their art to hundreds and thousands of students... rather than just to a garage of guys.

My brother sold 500 Kimura Trap DVD sets grossing over $120,000. He has screen shots that he has shared with other school owners. Why? Because he has been helping others in our industry, that are BROKE, learn how to provide for their family by learning how to share their teachings to more people via internet marketing.

KJ, maybe my contributions don't hold a candle to the impact you have made in the grappling community, but I wanted to let you know that the more the sport gives to me - the more I try to give back to it. But yes, I do make money and I don't apologize for that either. My brother and I offer free trials on everything we do (hence the free techniques online and the 30 day free trial at our gyms) and offer money back guarantees on all our products and services (Kimura Trap had a 30 day money back guarantee). If we are making money, it is because people are happy with the services and products they are getting - otherwise they wouldn't buy after our freebies and/or would ask for a refund. In other words, it is a win/win situation, capitalism in its finest form.

I'm glad KJ unwittingly trolled me onto this forum, I've been reading through some of the threads on this forum and I dig some the posts on here, being that I am a strictly no-gi guy myself I've been a fan of Mr. Bravo, we have a lot in common since we were both amongst the few brave souls that dared open up strictly no-gi schools and ranking systems back when it was considered serious blasphemy

I'm glad that my google alerts found this thread and got me on this forum, nice to meet you guys.

Array

School
    Freestyle Fighting Academy
    Oh and before anybody does their own math, $120k with 500 sets is because there were upsells besides the DVD sets that gave the extra gross. And I meant to write "the financial success of my brother and I..." in the first paragraph. I can't edit it. Noticing typos after the fact drives me nuts! My OCD can't handle it, lol

Even if you hoarded all the money it would still be helping Jiu Jitsu. Demonstrating that you can earn a solid income can only encourage more people to take Jiu Jitsu seriously, the more people that try jiu jitsu the better for the sport. If MMA and Jiu Jitsu paid big dollars kids might grow up dreaming of winning ADCC, not scoring an NFL contract. That is a long way off but one can hope, and any steps towards making grappling profitable is a good thing.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Not sure if you plan on staying, but welcome to the board. Good to read your take on things. W

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast