Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield
    How long do you have this "guest belt"
    superherojiujitsuacademy.com
    http://www.defensesoap.com/idevaffil...ate.php?id=327
    10P4L
    F&V forever
    Ps 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Ge 32:24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
    Blackbelt 3/28/13

Array

School
    Ronin
    Rank is such a funny thing. I took all uniform representations of rank out of my school when I was teaching Arnis, specifically because rank muddies the waters too much, and real, hard contact training will always make clear what everyone's level is. There was nothing like putting on the fencing masks and hockey gloves to see how much a person really knew when the rattan hit the flesh.
    This is even more true in Jiu Jitsu where you can train damn near full out everyday without having to explain the "stick hickies". Regardless of the belt (or system), you know after a couple of sessions what a persons level really is.
    Bottom line for me is: wear what you want, but be damn sure your ass can cover the claims your rank is making.

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    I think your rank is your rank. Stuff is different in Gi and in no Gi, yes, but you have been ranked nonetheless. Going to roll in the Gi? Learn the grips and lapel chokes, get a feel for it. Rolling no Gi? Learn to clench and be tight in transitions rather than depending on grip as much. We have a blue belt that comes in. He is from Brasil and is a world champion too, I believe. He has trained mainly Gi, we are a no Gi school. He is still a blue belt. You can feel it.

If you want to wear a white belt out of respect, by all means. I would prob just pack both if I was going to train Gi somewhere and ask the instructor. All instructors are different. Some are lax while others might be majorly offended that you wore your no Gi rank.

If you are a black under anyone and you want to be belted in 10p, you start as a brown belt. As far as the rashguard situation, is there an official rule on that at HQ? I would assume a black belt visitor wouldn't wear a 10p black belt rank rashguard, but I wouldn't see a problem with a ranked rashguard by Gracie, Jaco, ..or someone else.
    Be one with yourself and know you can do anything when you are friends with yourself.

10th Planet Gulf Shores Official Website

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dewitt Jr View Post
    How long do you have this "guest belt"
    It isn't necessarily a guest belt. If you are a black belt that is not 10p, but you want to be a 10p black belt, you start as a brown belt. Eddie will transfer every rank over except black. It makes sense. So you start back as a brown and work your butt off to become a ranked 10p black belt. That is the process.
    Be one with yourself and know you can do anything when you are friends with yourself.

10th Planet Gulf Shores Official Website

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield
    Quote Originally Posted by Tori Applegate View Post
    It isn't necessarily a guest belt. If you are a black belt that is not 10p, but you want to be a 10p black belt, you start as a brown belt. Eddie will transfer every rank over except black. It makes sense. So you start back as a brown and work your butt off to become a ranked 10p black belt. That is the process.
    I got this, trust me guys I completely understand that. Lets say Caio Terra decided "Hey, I want to train a clinching style." and begins training at San Fran not for rank but to train. He is still a black belt and will always be a black belt and it would be ludicrous to expect him to say he is anything other than a black belt whether training or competing.
    10P4L
    F&V forever
    Ps 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Ge 32:24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
    Blackbelt 3/28/13

For the day. But if you are going to be a regular then you need to figure out your rank with the coach

And to all of you saying "you just have to figure out how to break the grips", that is a bad argument. The game is more complicated than that. You are dealing with many positions that don't exist in no gi and submissions that are strictly gi. Many habits in no gi leave you open to easy subs in the gi, like the ghost escape from side control setting you up to get caught in s bread cutter.

I trained gi for about 3.5 years before Eddie. Then I did 9 years with Eddie. Now I'm back to the gi for 1.25 years. I'm still amazed at how different the sports are.

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield
    So you think Denny was wrong for wearing a black belt to Jean Jacques then, or because it was just kind of a special situation it was acceptable? Do you think Eddie should wear a three stripe black belt if he went to JJM's to train?
    10P4L
    F&V forever
    Blackbelt 3/28/13

Array

School
    10th Planet Mobile
    Quote Originally Posted by brent_littell View Post
    For the day. But if you are going to be a regular then you need to figure out your rank with the coach

And to all of you saying "you just have to figure out how to break the grips", that is a bad argument. The game is more complicated than that. You are dealing with many positions that don't exist in no gi and submissions that are strictly gi. Many habits in no gi leave you open to easy subs in the gi, like the ghost escape from side control setting you up to get caught in s bread cutter.

I trained gi for about 3.5 years before Eddie. Then I did 9 years with Eddie. Now I'm back to the gi for 1.25 years. I'm still amazed at how different the sports are.
    I agree with this. The gi is a different world. So many chokes are available from so many positions. There is some overlap for sure but Gi and Nogi are essentially different games.

Yes I think Denny should not wear a black belt in the gi, like I shouldn't.

Eddie can wear his black belt because that was earned in the gi

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Do you think the reciprocal argument is identical? Do black belts in nogi are lower belts nogi? Ive def seen that.

Belts are funny. I like the acknowledgement of dedication and progression in studying and practicing the art, yet boxing and wrestling exist just fine without them. At the end of the day, a bad motherfucker who works hard is a bad motherfucker.

I agree though, two different games, but with transferable concepts if youre willing to put in the time. I feel I'm ranked properly in both, but I've never been destroyed like I have in gi. Gettin it though.

Kinda on subject, I get a kick out of the gi guys who just show up after you finished a 16 man nogi bracket, then conservitely break down your tired ass with his fresh ass pressure and base. Especially when he's got trix too. I love that..

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast