Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    Belts are funny. I like the acknowledgement of dedication and progression in studying and practicing the art, yet boxing and wrestling exist just fine without them. At the end of the day, a bad motherfucker who works hard is a bad motherfucker.
    I like it.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    I'm not regularly training under anyone in the Gi. So when I drop in I bring a white belt and my current belt. I fully disclose my training experience and let the coach decide what rank I should wear under his roof. And that's 100% ok with me.

I've been told to wear a white belt before. No problem. More often than not I am told to wear my current rank.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    I should add that I 100% agree that they are different games.

The average recreational player does not transfer well from one to the other.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield
    Quote Originally Posted by brent_littell View Post
    Yes I think Denny should not wear a black belt in the gi, like I shouldn't.

Eddie can wear his black belt because that was earned in the gi
    When was the last time Eddie trained in the gi?
    superherojiujitsuacademy.com
    http://www.defensesoap.com/idevaffil...ate.php?id=327
    10P4L
    F&V forever
    Ps 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Ge 32:24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
    Blackbelt 3/28/13

This gets weird. There's guys like rashad evans or jake shields who were given black belts in BJJ and they never really train with the Gi. So technically they are NoGi black belts but if they trained under eddie bravo, he would say they're brown belts? So does that mean a NoGi black belt is different from a 10th planet black belt?

Eddie doesn't need to wear the gi if he doesn't want to. Degrees on the black belt are awarded with time.

Mike your a black belt in no gi. Tell me, do you know three ways to escape this position and pass in the gi. Note, maybe you have gi experience so it could be a flawed test.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:...Riva_guard.jpg

Array

School
    Rock ministries of philadelphia/ 10th planet Philly hotbox
    calf crank!!

Array

School
    Frostbite Vale-Tudo
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin W. View Post
    This gets weird. There's guys like rashad evans or jake shields who were given black belts in BJJ and they never really train with the Gi. So technically they are NoGi black belts but if they trained under eddie bravo, he would say they're brown belts? So does that mean a NoGi black belt is different from a 10th planet black belt?
    Jake Shields is a BJJ black belt under Caesar Gracie. He's not a NoGi black belt, you can't have much more of a legit lineage than that. Eddie's not a NoGi BB either, he's a BJJ BB under Machado. Rashad Evans is a Rolles Gracie BJJ BB (though admittedly people have questioned him getting a bb, that's beside the point). Everyone ranked under Eddie is a BJJ ____ belt and the lineage would be Mitsuyo Maeda → Carlos Gracie, Sr. → Carlos Gracie, Jr. → Jean Jacques Machado → Eddie Bravo --> You (whatever belt you are). Those are all BJJ lineages.

Some people have killer top games, but less developed guard games. Some people are awesome at spider guard but have no mount. These are specialties, and they're important, just as a persons style can make them better suited for nogi, or for gi, but it's jits, and they're still BJJ lineages and belts.

Array

School
    Frostbite Vale-Tudo
    Quote Originally Posted by brent_littell View Post
    Eddie doesn't need to wear the gi if he doesn't want to. Degrees on the black belt are awarded with time.

Mike your a black belt in no gi. Tell me, do you know three ways to escape this position and pass in the gi. Note, maybe you have gi experience so it could be a flawed test.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:...Riva_guard.jpg
    De La Riva can be played Nogi with wrist control or other variations such as sitting up and hooking behind the knee instead of grabbing the heel.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    This is such a weird topic to be worrying about to me..
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast