Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by DENNY PROKOPOS View Post

John im coming to Chicago
    I heard. Ill be waiting for your arrival.

Array

School
    10Th Planet Jiu Jitsu San Francisco
    Yeeeeeeee

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Quote Originally Posted by DENNY PROKOPOS View Post
    He said Denny you are a black belt from Eddie so you are a black belt period
    End of story.
    No matter what school Denny goes to to roll at, if it is BJJ, he is a black belt and should wear the black belt rank.

We know with Denny he is not going to roll in the Gi, BUT in an alternate universe where he DID roll in the Gi, he should still wear his black belt imo, even if he gets trounced in the Gi. To wear anything less is misrepresenting your skill level. Denny has blackbelt Jiu Jitsu skills, even if he is unfamiliar with the pajama gripping, etc. He is still a destroyer.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by brent_littell View Post
    For the day. But if you are going to be a regular then you need to figure out your rank with the coach

And to all of you saying "you just have to figure out how to break the grips", that is a bad argument. The game is more complicated than that. You are dealing with many positions that don't exist in no gi and submissions that are strictly gi. Many habits in no gi leave you open to easy subs in the gi, like the ghost escape from side control setting you up to get caught in s bread cutter.

I trained gi for about 3.5 years before Eddie. Then I did 9 years with Eddie. Now I'm back to the gi for 1.25 years. I'm still amazed at how different the sports are.
    I agree the differences between no gi and gi are becoming more apparent and the differences in some of the techniques are obvious. Ranks for each arts gi and no gi.

Array

School
    AJ Sousa BJJ Center
    Im pretty sure that David Avellan and Freestyle Fighting Academy in Miami train mostly nogi and give out belts for nogi grapplers. So yes you can have a nogi black belt that isnt a 10th planet black belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Gammel View Post
    Are you saying black belt in nogi or black belt in 10th planet?

Can there be a nogi black belt that isn't a 10th planet black belt?

If you win ADCC would you be a nogi blackbelt?

If every gym had their own ranking system nobody could say they were anything anywhere.

Array

School
    Liverpool Vale Tudo
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Perez View Post
    Im pretty sure that David Avellan and Freestyle Fighting Academy in Miami train mostly nogi and give out belts for nogi grapplers. So yes you can have a nogi black belt that isnt a 10th planet black belt.
    Chris Brennan does it too, and the belts are IBJJF certified.

We talk about a no gi revolution and then when we put on the gi we want to be recognized under their rule set?
    I agree 100% with Brent.

Array

School
    10thPlanet Oceanside
    Its up to the Gi instructor you train under period point blank they deserve the respect to make that determination for you since its their academy I know Cobrinha, the Mendez Brothers, and Andre Galvao, at Atos all recognize 10th Planet belts in the Gi since I have team members from 10thPlanet Vista, and 10thPlanet Costa Mesa that train at their academys.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    It is very important to me to be competitive in the division I enter. Its the only way I can resent the guys who show up just for gi after my 16 man nogi bracket and look myself in the eye. Then slap their hand and try to beat them at their game. I will grapple whenever possible and learn from whoever possible within the set infrastructure. This philosophy will often require a gi. I just go with it. Eddie and 10p have improved my gi 100% by improving my overall knowledge of grappling. Solid principles transcend into both, if you do both. If not, I have seen a huge skill gap in players.

Array

School
    Triunfo Jiu Jitsu / 10th Planet Ronin
    For the day. But if you are going to be a regular then you need to figure out your rank with the coach

And to all of you saying "you just have to figure out how to break the grips", that is a bad argument. The game is more complicated than that. You are dealing with many positions that don't exist in no gi and submissions that are strictly gi. Many habits in no gi leave you open to easy subs in the gi, like the ghost escape from side control setting you up to get caught in s bread cutter.

I trained gi for about 3.5 years before Eddie. Then I did 9 years with Eddie. Now I'm back to the gi for 1.25 years. I'm still amazed at how different the sports are.
    It amazes me too that No-gi and Gi Jiu Jitsu are very different from each other even though they share a similar foundation. I think the differences may not be that noticeable at white and blue belt, but when comparing No-Gi and Gi at Purple and above the differences become much more apparent.

When comparing No-gi and Gi at the white and blue level. I think both the no-gi and gi players at that level are both just just trying to get the main foundation of grappling, so man concepts in no-gi and gi are very similar.

But as you start to compare no-gi and gi at purple and above levels, the details are what start to differentiate no-gi and gi jiu jitsu. The detail of using grips to pass, submit, and defend in Gi brings a whole other element to the game that can not be utilized in no-gi. Also, I personal feel I can play open guard a lot better in the Gi.

High level No-Gi definitely utilizes the clinch and over/underhooks more. I also feel more comfortable playing a leg lock game in no-gi.

Personally, I love both and train both. As far as ranking, When I wear a Gi, I wear the purple ranking that was awarded to me from training traditional brazilian jiu jitsu in the Gi. The 10th Planet system is truly unique and I represent the 10th planet rank that my 10th planet Coach said is appropriate to wear.

Either way keep it rollin'

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast