Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Jiu Jitsu makes chess look like checkers
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Edgar Aleen Poe on chess vs checkers:

"To calculate is not in itself to analyze. A chess player, for example, does one without effort of the other. I will therefore take occasion to assert that the higher powers of the reflective intellect are more decidedly and more usefully tasked by the unostentatious game of draughts than by all the elaborate frivolity of chess. In the latter, where the pieces have different and bizarre motions, with various and variable values, what is only complex is mistaken for what is profound. The attention is here called powerfully into play. If it flag for an instant, an oversight is committed resulting in injury or defeat. The possible moves being not only manifold but involve, the chances of such oversights are multiplied and in nine cases out of ten it is the more concentrative, rather than the more acute player who conquers. In draughts, on the contrary, where the moves are unique and have little variation, the probabilities of inadvertence are diminished and the mere attention being left comparatively, unemployed, what advantages are obtained by either party are obtained by superior acumen".

Give checkers some love!

Array

School
    Ronin
    I prefer the Chinese game of Go its much more efficient
    Facebook, Twitter check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Pheonix00789
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Pheonix_00789
    Instagram: http://instagram.com/phoenix_00789

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanboor View Post
    I know the comparison has been made a millions times but chess are really to sides of the same coin. I recently listened to the Open Mat Radio podcast with Adisa Banjoko. He goes into depth about the benefits of learning about and playing chess and how it helped his jiu jitsu game. I also know that Josh Waitzkin over at Marcelos is a chess ninja. My question is, does anyone here play chess and if so, how, if at all, has it impacted your jiu jitsu game? I used to play a lot with my dad when I was a kid and Im thinkin about pickin it back up again. Thoughts?
    Hi Ryan, here's something I put together that kinda explains the relationship of JJ and Chess:
    6cc02d2e411011e3b4af22000a1fa7ec_7.jpg

Essentially, it boils down to lookahead moves and capitalizing on the moment, while setting up your army(your body) to defend while attacking, and attack while defending.

Array

School
    Sergio Penha
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Rick View Post
    Hi Ryan, here's something I put together that kinda explains the relationship of JJ and Chess:
    6cc02d2e411011e3b4af22000a1fa7ec_7.jpg

Essentially, it boils down to lookahead moves and capitalizing on the moment, while setting up your army(your body) to defend while attacking, and attack while defending.
    Adisa would love that! Can you send it to me so I can share it with him? paul at openmatradio dot com

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenMatRadio View Post
    Adisa would love that! Can you send it to me so I can share it with him? paul at openmatradio dot com
    Doing that now Paul.
    Talk soon.

Array

School
    Trials MMA
    Nice Rick. And Paul love the podcast, keep up the great work man!

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    The difference is, in chess were both players start dead even, a bishop will only move diagonal. In jj, you have the potential to make every piece a queen. If I lined my board up with Marcelo's, they would look radically different. I doubt he would have many, if any, pawns.

Array

School
    Sergio Penha
    Rick thanks for the everything! Will be getting that to Adisa later today. If you're able to make the KO FInisher in Anaheim Adisa is also having a speed chess tournament. Rza is going to defend his title there! So Wutang, Kurt Osiander and Adisa? How do you not make it out for that?

Ryanboor, thanks man, I really appreciate the kind words. What is 5th Rd Fitness? I was born and raised in Buffalo and still have ties to WNY. I didn't realize there was a moon in Elmira. I know there's a great one in Rochester.

Array

School
    Trials MMA
    There isn't a moon in Elmira (sigh), but 5th Rd Fitness is a small MMA gym run by John Franchi (who fought briefly in the WEC) and Pat Audinwood (who fought briefly in the UFC) They have ties to Ultimate Athletics/ Team Bombsquad (not the west coast Eddie Bravo version)/ CNY MMA....all central NY based teams. Elmira, Binghamton, Cortland, Ithaca, Syracuse. Im the lone 10P dude in my gym but I do everything I can to rep the system!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast