Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)

Grip break kimura from S mount

Found this on sherdog. I like it. Works as a grip break. The kimura is there for sure. Someone pointed out that once the grip is broken you pretty much have an armbar option too. Plus a shotgun armbar if they straighten their arm.

What do you guys think? Good or no good?
    Last edited by David Rosado; 02-05-2014 at 10:33 AM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post

Found this on sherdog. I like it. Works as a grip break. The kimura is there for sure. Someone pointed out that once the grip is broken you pretty much have an armbar option too. Plus a shotgun armbar if they straighten their arm.

What do you guys think? Good or no good?
    Interesting...

Array

School
    blank
    WHOA!!!

since i haven't tried it yet i can't say about how effective it is but my first impression is a pretty good one. i'll going to mess with it tonight

thanks for the post!

ps pennsylvania combat sports have some solid videos, some pretty silly ones too. great find
    Last edited by Tony Toffolo; 02-05-2014 at 10:35 AM.

Array

School
    Frostbite Vale-Tudo
    That is pretty slick...

Array

School
    Thanks Tony. Stumbling onto tech videos is a small hobby of mine. I'm always happy when guys enjoy them.

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    To be honest, I don't think I would ever use it. If that guy stacks and for some reason you don't get the finish you're left with a backwards deep hook for the arm bar. All he has to do is get his elbow past your elbow. If you look, it's not very deep behind the elbow, two inches and you're out..Maybe in the gi bc you can yank their sleeve in. For my game it would be low percentage, no chance of trying a Kimura on a bunch of people bigger and stronger either. The arm bar is a sure finish. If your looking for a super strong grip break, get your reps in on the Silverado. It works even on the biggest and strongest guys. :-)
    A set up I use a lot that's kinda similar that is money...skydive, frog hop to high mount, pick opposite hand-Kimura grip, push to the throat, s mount, sit back and throw the leg over for the arm bar.
    Be one with yourself and know you can do anything when you are friends with yourself.

10th Planet Gulf Shores Official Website

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Tori Applegate View Post
    To be honest, I don't think I would ever use it. If that guy stacks and for some reason you don't get the finish you're left with a backwards deep hook for the arm bar. All he has to do is get his elbow past your elbow. If you look, it's not very deep behind the elbow, two inches and you're out..Maybe in the gi bc you can yank their sleeve in. For my game it would be low percentage, no chance of trying a Kimura on a bunch of people bigger and stronger either. The arm bar is a sure finish. If your looking for a super strong grip break, get your reps in on the Silverado. It works even on the biggest and strongest guys. :-)
    A set up I use a lot that's kinda similar that is money...skydive, frog hop to high mount, pick opposite hand-Kimura grip, push to the throat, s mount, sit back and throw the leg over for the arm bar.
    Your whole body weight versus their shoulder....I think it would work. Plus, like you mentioned, you have the armbar if the arm slips. Personally, with that deep hook on the opposite arm, I would put my non hooking hand to cup the elbow, use the hooking hand to grab my wrist. That way I can keep the elbow tight so it won't slip out. And if they straighten their arm, just cup their elbow and get the shotgun armbar. If you get rolled and stacked, deep hook with the other arm for control, switch deep hooks, toss to spiderweb, finish. IDK, I haven't tried it yet. But this looks like a viable option.

Also, the silverado doesn't do well against an rnc grip armbar defense. This would work well against it because it attacks the defending arm.

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    The Silverado is harder against a RNC grip, but just takes more practice. You just go towards the head and unwind it. I do it all the time. The Silverado is one of my fave arm bar set ups. It almost never fails me. I get bruises on my upper forearms before every comp bc I rep it like crazy before I compete.

I think your grip style sounds more secure, the guy doesn't really have it attached to his core/chest, so it's more of an arm battle his way, BUT if you did the grip you're talking about and pulled it to your chest and core, it could work and be a higher percentage sub. I personally don't like that shot gun arm bar and Idt I would risk going for this sub bc I don't want to waste my time transitioning if I could have already finished. Play with it though. I'm interested to see how it would work in a live roll against a good Jiu Jitsu player.
    Be one with yourself and know you can do anything when you are friends with yourself.

10th Planet Gulf Shores Official Website

Array

School
    blank
    reminds me of the arm coil chris herzog has shown

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Tori Applegate View Post
    The Silverado is harder against a RNC grip, but just takes more practice. You just go towards the head and unwind it. I do it all the time. The Silverado is one of my fave arm bar set ups. It almost never fails me. I get bruises on my upper forearms before every comp bc I rep it like crazy before I compete.

I think your grip style sounds more secure, the guy doesn't really have it attached to his core/chest, so it's more of an arm battle his way, BUT if you did the grip you're talking about and pulled it to your chest and core, it could work and be a higher percentage sub. I personally don't like that shot gun arm bar and Idt I would risk going for this sub bc I don't want to waste my time transitioning if I could have already finished. Play with it though. I'm interested to see how it would work in a live roll against a good Jiu Jitsu player.
    Good points.

I tried my grip idea (not in live rolling) and it felt really good. I like this a lot. It's nice and sneaky too. I like sneaky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast