Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The legs ?

The legs ?

I just recently joined a local(ish) Gracie team after a couple of years just rolling with friends being self taught. That said I've noticed quite a lot while being there. Because we had no concept of injury and no ego we always have done as many leg locks as we can and I've developed almost my entire game around them.now being a lowly white belt they are not allowed, which in itself I can kinda understand for safety reasons but while rolling with the blues and even purples I noticed some easy toe holds/ heel hooks they offer up while in guard. Is it just me who thinks completely ignoring the possibility of leg locks is rather ridiculous or do you think it should wait until higher levels?

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    We allow all submissions at my gym. Definitely varies from place to place. I love leg locks. I think to be truly studious of jiu jitsu, you must be aware of ALL submissions, defensively and offensively.

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin
    i think it was denny when he was recently on on the mat radio was talking about how ridiculous it is that there are blackbelts that cant defend heel hooks and shit like that. i think while absolute beginners shouldnt do them.they should be taught qquite early on and made a part fo the game.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    We allow all leg locks at HQ. We rarely ever have injuries due to leg attacks, in fact I can't remember off the top of my head an injury at hq caused by a heel hook or reaping
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    "Oil Slix" shirtless BJJ Club
    It's incredible how many gym instructors will tell you to "watch the leg locks." I think it's lazy to just yell at the Sambo guy instead of teaching students to defend legs at the very least, but that's just me.
    "Blame the IBJJF when, in 30 years you see an academy that nails the phrase, "A Red belt is a Junior black belt that hasn't died yet" on the far wall."

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    Same thing at our gym. We have always allowed all submissions and see no increased injury rate from leg attacks.

Array

School
    Dark Horse SWA\10th Planet Bear DE
    Same at our gym...we are heavy heavy on the leg locks and I cant remember a single person being hurt either.

Array

School
    In between schools
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    We allow all leg locks at HQ. We rarely ever have injuries due to leg attacks, in fact I can't remember off the top of my head an injury at hq caused by a heel hook or reaping
    Well, that is good to know since that is what all the fuss is about! We follow the no leg lock code for whites at my school. Colored belts have caught me with a leg lock while rolling (esp from open guard) but I'm not supposed to apply one back? That's okay...I'll be getting my rolling kneebar, etc on as soon as I get my blue which is the next promotion.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ / Salt Lake Grappling Club
    I have felt the delicate tendons in my knees tear with a sound like a tree being uprooted. I could actually feel my LCL scrape across the bone as it twisted in an unnatural direction. I remember freezing, sitting motionless, staring at my outstretched leg expectantly, waiting for the pain to set in. There is always that gap in time between knowing you're hurt and feeling it. This happened while playing volleyball, of all things.

I've never had any problem with my knees due to leglocks, even though I've had some of the nastiest leg fetishists in the game twist my lower limbs into cartoon animal shapes. They're a part of the sport that should be embraced rather than feared; we only fear the unknown.

As with every other submission, white belts should learn not to just rip them, but to use controlled technique. They should learn when to tap and how to defend. Ignoring them will only make you vulnerable.

Array

School
    In my mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Amir Allam View Post
    I have felt the delicate tendons in my knees tear with a sound like a tree being uprooted. I could actually feel my LCL scrape across the bone as it twisted in an unnatural direction. I remember freezing, sitting motionless, staring at my outstretched leg expectantly, waiting for the pain to set in. There is always that gap in time between knowing you're hurt and feeling it. This happened while playing volleyball, of all things.

I've never had any problem with my knees due to leglocks, even though I've had some of the nastiest leg fetishists in the game twist my lower limbs into cartoon animal shapes. They're a part of the sport that should be embraced rather than feared; we only fear the unknown.

As with every other submission, white belts should learn not to just rip them, but to use controlled technique. They should learn when to tap and how to defend. Ignoring them will only make you vulnerable.
    I seriously think I have a new bromance brewing with this intelligent sexual Tyranosaurus.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast