Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    Quote Originally Posted by stlnl View Post
    This doesnt mean some lesser ranked guys dont catch higher ranked guys. It happens and it is part of training. Talking about it on the internet, is just having a white belt mentality.
    What the heck? lol. I feel like i cant post anything without you trying to turn it around into some personal insult toward me. I dont know what i did to make you think that im such a bad person, but chill out. Its cool if you dont like me.. in fact it doesnt really bother me if you want to bash me a little online.. i mean, who knows what issues you have in your personal life and for all i know you might just need some attention because of some neglect in your personal life/up bringing.. Im not one to judge.. but if youre going to come in to post something negative.. at LEAST address the actual question i asked. Otherwise it looks like you are just going around to all my posts with no intent other than to say something negative and leave. So.. like i said.. to each there own.. im not into the whole talking down to people online.. but as for the original question.. i was just wondering on what the benefits to testing for a higher belt were.. take it as you will.. but if you dont have any personal opinions on the matter.. you dont HAVE to leave a comment. youre allowed to go to the next post.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Elliott View Post
    A big problem I see with belts is people get into the habit of dishing out respect based on them. No belt, no respect.
    I just hate it when people use their rank as a de facto defense of anything they say that is jiujitsu related. Theoretically, the experience gained from earning that belt should have given you the ability to understand and articulate (maybe not always in the most concise or clear manner but articulate none the less) why a specific move or variation is done over another one. I respect someone spending 10+ years of their life to train jiujitsu but you still can't just point to your belt when somebody raises a question in opposition to your opinion.

Didnt bash you, and have only responded to you on one thread I know of. If you read up, you can see I was talking to the other fellow. If you fall into the category of the sort of person who feels training situations are "live matches" and likes to keep "score" perhaps one day you will reflect back and see that, it will only hinder you, not help.

For someone not bothered, that is a very sensitive sally response. Perhaps, if you are going to post and talk about gym conquests/preparation for "gym competition" you should get thicker skin?

Array

School
    Lincoln Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Center
    I liked when my former sensei (who was a BB, not a World Champion or anything, but a dedicated practitioner) would wear his white belt at seminars he'd go to, as a symbol that he's always learning, and that we're all students. Big surprise for the person that looks at his belt and takes him lightly, haha. Always made me smile imagining those situations.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    soo.. does that mean youre going to tell me your opinions on the benefits to the belt testing.. or..

Quote Originally Posted by chronic_jiujitsu View Post
    soo.. does that mean youre going to tell me your opinions on the benefits to the belt testing.. or..
    Do you train with a gi and enter Gi competitions?

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    haha jared.. I like that. thats a pretty cool concept. Its neat that its not about getting that "BB" status for him and its about really improving yourself. I have a friend who has his bb in kuksulso (sp?) and after he got it (at age 18) he decided he now knew everything about it and stopped doing it. and ALWAYS wears his bb wrist band just so everyone knows hes a "black belt". I hate people that have respect for the belts but no respect for the martial arts.. its unfortunate

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    and no i dont train gi anymore. I did for about 6 months but now i dont use it anymore. I wanted to focus more on MMA so i figured gi training wasnt worth the effort.

Then you have no need for belts.........which you knew when you made the thread........That better?

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    thanks.. and im very sorry that i asked a question that you obviously see as a waste of your time. I only hope to one day understand just a fraction of your infinite wisdom. I shall make sure that from now on i only ask questions that require deep philosophical answers. Because it is now apparent to me.. that wanting to know the reasoning behind belts before i jumped to conclusions about them.. was not a question that stlnl feels is worthy to be asked. i as for your forgiveness, though i know i am unworthy of receiving it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast