Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur

No disrespect to anyone..

But i was just wondering what are the reasons behind testing for a higher belt? i mean, I understand if you are wanting to go into tournaments who separate belt classes, But is that the only reason? And i dont want anyone to take this disrespectfully.. It is a legitimate question. I was just wondering if you are going to do MMA, or open division tournaments, would there be a reason to worry about the testing process? I just feel like belt rankings have become a joke most places (not saying that about 10th planet). Its just that most every martial arts now has become so commercialized that when people say they are black belts in anything, it doesnt really hold as much honor as it used to. I know plenty of black belts in different martial arts who i wouldnt hesitate to play there game with. (ex: standing up with some of the karate "black belts" i know.) And the same for jiujitsu, I'm still a white belt and have never attempted to test for a higher belt, but I know plenty of Blue/Purple Belts who seem like they just receive their belts because of time spent in the class rather than skills actually attained during their time there. anyway im starting to ramble, and i want to make sure this isnt taken the wrong way.. I have no disrespect for anyone in 10th planet with higher belt rankings.. In fact, 10th planet is one of the only styles ive actually never seen a person with a belt and thought "they dont deserve that".. But I was just curious as to what the reasoning was behind the rankings.

Array

School
    10th Planet Montreal
    Roll with a purple belt. That will answer the question.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    I do.. all the time. I started at Jorge Gurgel's Gym in cinnci, Moved to Phoenix and rolled at The Lab, And now im back in ohio again. And I beat purple belts probably 40% of the time. And trust me im no prodigy in Jiujitsu, I just feel like people are treating belts like jokes. (minus Ben Henderson.. He was probably the best purple belt i got to roll with. And thats a LEGIT purple belt.) But i dont want this to sound like me saying belts are pointless. Like i said, from so far in 10th planet.. everyone seems to earn what they get.. I'm just asking what the reasons are behind testing for one. Simply because I dont plant on doing any tournys that separate belts, so i didnt know if there was a point in me testing.

Array

School
    Basement, future hotbox Pure mma closed
    10th planet belts are well deserved and not given out to just anyone. Can't speak for other arts, its up to them if they want to water it down.

Array

School
    Peter De Been Caroline Springs
    a lot of schools care more about making money then their own reputation, their belt system is more of an incentive to keep their own students then it is to hold up a high standard. the students at these schools may sometimes appear to be the types that judge their skill level based on their belt ranking over their actual... skills, and are the types of people that may disappear after they attain a high ranking, as if they've completed some goal, making them believe that training is now unnecessary for them.

imo the problem is that the belt system has turned from a strict ranking system which is all it should really be (and appears to be in 10pp, look at eddies standards) into an estimate of the amount of money you've paid your club through membership and grading fees.

Array

School
    Fi-G Muay Thai/Honeybadger MMA
    The White Belt (Under Johnny Gui/Behring Jiu Jitsu) is the guy in MMA shorts. The BJJ blackbelt is the guy in the Gi pants. I know its MMA, but the White belt has a weeks standup training. Its a BJJ fight.

Array

School
    AJ Sousa BJJ Center
    Ive been going to att now for 4 years 4-5 times a week and just got my purple. It doesnt bother me that it took a while. Im in it for the love of jits

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Jacksonville

2 types of people

To me, I see it as there are two types of people when it comes to belts and rank.

some people like getting the belt, and kinda stroke their ego, "im a ---- belt in ----." and their main goal is to obtain the belt.

then theres people who are passionate about the art who do want the belt but dont exactly care how long it takes.

no disrespect to certain styles what so ever, but im sure everyone is aware that there are styles in which you gain rank through your attendance time.

theres not much wrong about this, as long as you've earned it and show the actual progress and growth to have gained the rank.

I honestly admire instructors that are like my professor that will present belt stripes and belts based on your over all progress,growth, and time.

he presented a guy with his blue belt once, but the student was shocked to hear his name called for promotion, and told our professor "professor, im not ready, i dont htink im ready for it." and our professor jokingly smacked the back of his head and told him, "you are ready, trust me."

guess sometimes, (maybe all the time?) your instructor knows if your ready through watching your growth from when you started to where you are now.

How does eddie do it?

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    well then.. i think im going to just try to stay a "white belt" as long as i can. but keep training so then if i make in it MMA and get big. if i dominate someone on TV with jiujitsu, and the guy (Joe Rogan) interviews me.. I can say I'm a white belt in Eddie Bravo's 10th planet JJ.. Can you imagine how many people would check out his gym if a white belt did that? lol

Array

School
    Peter De Been Caroline Springs
    heres a better idea, reverse-sandbagging. get into the blue belt division of a tournament as a white belt and win it lol

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast