Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)

JJGF: Rickson Gracie's new bjj federation

So BJJ god Rickson Gracie is starting his own jiu jitsu federation with a stark contrast in rules compared to the existing monopoly that is the IBJJF. Rewarding points for submission attempts above all.

The news has the community divided. Killer instinct types are all for it. Position freaks are not amused. The irony is that no one will doubt that you need position before submission for the most part, yet there's still division. There's a point in which the philosophies splinter off. That is where the question is asked: which is more important? Positional dominance and control, or submission threats?

The negative comments I've read are about how guys will just spam fake subs to rack up points. All day I've thought they were right. But then I saw this highlight video of the 05 Budo challenge under these JJGF rules.

Not only did most of them end in submission as a result of that "spamming," but the fights were much more exciting that the double guard tug of war that is positional points based jiu jitsu. So honestly, who cares? I'd rather see two guys spam submissions than two guys scissoring for 10 minutes.

This is why I believe the JJGF is gonna be important. If it can garner the same appearance of prestige as the IBJJF name, it's going to bring the conflicting philosophies to the forefront. It's going to show which is most entertaining. It's going to come down to a vote of sorts. Which one will people compete in more? This could potentially reshape the next generation of BJJ players.

Array

School
    10th Planet Enterprise
    If it's anything like that video I would love to compete in it.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    I'm for anything that encourages submissions.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet Oceanside
    Is this a recent thing? it looks old, and if it is old, i hope it comes back. Thats some exciting stuff, i would even start watching GI jiu jitsu as a fan again

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    Hopefully Rose Gracie can talk Rickson into a submission only format.

Array

School
    Even if you belief sub only is the best rule set, I still feel like we should support this just so that the IBJJF can have a legit competitor. All we need to change the tide is a big enough powerhouse. Unfortunately, as much as I appreciate Rose Gracie, the Gracie Nationals don't have as much prestige as the IBJJF. With Rickson puttin his name on it, and making a strong and passionate case for action based JJ, we could finally have a rule set closest to what we're looking for. And a more exciting sport to boot.

Peep this video. I think it has a chance. I'll be supporting it.

Array

School
    Marc Walder BJJ Academy, Essex, UK
    I don't think it is perfect but it is for sure a step in the right direction.

Array

School
    10WO
    Sub only >> JJGF/Points for aggressive sub attempts >>>>>>>>>>> Points for position

As long as there are clear definitions of what constitutes an aggressive sub attempt, I don't believe there will be much "spamming" of sub attempts. If the sub attempt is truly legit, why would you let it go to rack up points when if you stick with it and gut it out then you'll get the tap and points will become a moot point anyway? Something of a slippery slope, but as long as there is no subjectivity, I think points for sub attempts is the best alternative if sub only is just not feasible.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hughes View Post
    I don't think it is perfect but it is for sure a step in the right direction.
    Exactly. I still believe sub only is the best. But points for sub is a good transition for guys who like points. They will adjust their strategies. We'll see more subs. I think it's a good idea.

Array

School
    "Oil Slix" shirtless BJJ Club
    I like this a lot, but this will be another "Gracie Regionals", "Grapplers quest" type of thing (where it's a great promotion but is just not breaking the ceiling) until it has the organizational structure that IBJJF has. Conjecture and speculation about rules is awesome and I hope it all comes to fruition the way it's being planned, but the organization needs to meet the standard of a high class, high level tournament, which ibjjf has locked down. I feel that the greatest asset to modern BJJ promotions is the center stage type of thing that MM and EBI did. But to have a successful tourney you gotta borrow the standard that sets the IBJJF apart from the local naga tourney.
    "Blame the IBJJF when, in 30 years you see an academy that nails the phrase, "A Red belt is a Junior black belt that hasn't died yet" on the far wall."

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast