Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Mallory View Post
    I'm not a fan of that. Who cares how the fight gets to the ground. How does the winner get the sub, that's what I want to see.
    Watch the matches. The reason you're penalized is because you have more subs immediately at your disposal when you pull guard. Especially in the gi. Look at how Jacare played it. He pulls guard. Cross collar. Triangle. Armbar. In like 10 seconds he racks up 9 points. The negative one is hardly a penalty.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    Watch the matches. The reason you're penalized is because you have more subs immediately at your disposal when you pull guard. Especially in the gi. Look at how Jacare played it. He pulls guard. Cross collar. Triangle. Armbar. In like 10 seconds he racks up 9 points. The negative one is hardly a penalty.
    I've seen the Budo Challenge and I understand the point system. I'm just not a fan of the points game. Granted, awarding near subs more points than positional control is a little better than the IBJJF rule set but why play the points game at all ? Sub Only.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    I've seen the Budo Challenge and I understand the point system. I'm just not a fan of the points game. Granted, awarding near subs more points than positional control is a little better than the IBJJF rule set but why play the points game at all ? Sub Only.
    I agree that sub only is the best format. But I feel like people are avoiding sub only because they're too used to points. So this format could bridge the gap between IBJJF and sub only.

Array

School
    I agree that sub only is the best format. But I feel like people are avoiding sub only because they're too used to points. So this format could bridge the gap between IBJJF and sub only.
    Maybe...

Array

School
    "Oil Slix" shirtless BJJ Club
    this thread...
    "Blame the IBJJF when, in 30 years you see an academy that nails the phrase, "A Red belt is a Junior black belt that hasn't died yet" on the far wall."

Array

School
    TBJJ
    I'm not a fan of that. Who cares how the fight gets to the ground. How does the winner get the sub, that's what I want to see.
    Because Rickson is trying to emphasize and showcase the self defence aspects of jiu jitsu. Right now, if a layman watches a BJJ tournament, they see guys racing to sit on their ass and automatically discredit BJJ's street applicability.

Array

School
    TBJJ
    Your example highlights why there is no holy grail to tournament rules. Be it IBJJF, EBI, points, submission only, etc., players will learn ways to exploit and take advantage of the given ruleset.

Array

School
    "Oil Slix" shirtless BJJ Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hachey View Post
    Your example highlights why there is no holy grail to tournament rules. Be it IBJJF, EBI, points, submission only, etc., players will learn ways to exploit and take advantage of the given ruleset.
    I agree. It's a player's game. To respond to your post before this last one; I have a boxing buddy that, after hearing me say I was buying Metamoris 4 stream--He asked, "You just watch that? Like, no punches or anything?" I imagine the first time someone double guard pulled in a tourney, Rickson said a similar thing haha.
    "Blame the IBJJF when, in 30 years you see an academy that nails the phrase, "A Red belt is a Junior black belt that hasn't died yet" on the far wall."

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hachey View Post
    Because Rickson is trying to emphasize and showcase the self defence aspects of jiu jitsu. Right now, if a layman watches a BJJ tournament, they see guys racing to sit on their ass and automatically discredit BJJ's street applicability.
    I don't know if that's what he's trying to do. And if that is what he was trying to accomplish then he would have to add striking which is a part of the self defense aspect of jiu jitsu.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by ml82 View Post
    Rickson wants to penalize guard pullers. -1 point.

http://www.bjjee.com/bjj-news/rickso...guard-pulling/
    I think if it's a double guard pull it should be -1 each, and +4 points for the first one to come up. If you just sit to your ass it should be -1 point or award the guy still standing 2 points for a takedown, if you jump guard and actually bring the guy into your guard it should be even. Just the way I see it. However points are lame. Sub only's the way to go.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast