Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Array

School
    Warrior Way (Caique)
    Thank you for the feedback,
    I still prefer the arm drags :P I do have a lot of studying to do on the berimbolo tho

Array

School
    RCS/10th Planet Beaumont
    It really comes down to one thing...has the technique been pressure tested. Any technique can be utilized in any scenario. However; this needs to be under stress to really learn the functionality of the technique. Basically, test the technique in a scenario based simulation and make adjustments from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Marks View Post
    It really comes down to one thing...has the technique been pressure tested. Any technique can be utilized in any scenario. However; this needs to be under stress to really learn the functionality of the technique. Basically, test the technique in a scenario based simulation and make adjustments from there.
    Not trying to be argumentative but genuinely curious. Does pressure testing include MMA? I don't know if you're talking the berimbolo or not, but it's been pressure tested at the top levels of sport grappling and the results are that it works very well. It's proven to be a very good way to get onto the back or to sweep directly into a leg drag to side control.

I like how 50/50 is starting to pop up in MMA. I've seen some cool heel hook finishes. I despise 50/50 in the gi. I think without the threat of heel hooks it's a horrible position.

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Oviedo 10th Planet Atlantic Beach
    As someone who plays lapel guard and worm guard I recognize it as a sport only move. Sport Jiu Jitsu is fun and inventive and that's why I like it. These guys now complaining just don't want to evolve and counter. Their argument is stupid because they use grips for everything and always have. If they want it real do MMA or back alley street fights and let us have are fun!

Array

School
    RCS/10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nall View Post
    Not trying to be argumentative but genuinely curious. Does pressure testing include MMA? I don't know if you're talking the berimbolo or not, but it's been pressure tested at the top levels of sport grappling and the results are that it works very well. It's proven to be a very good way to get onto the back or to sweep directly into a leg drag to side control.

I like how 50/50 is starting to pop up in MMA. I've seen some cool heel hook finishes. I despise 50/50 in the gi. I think without the threat of heel hooks it's a horrible position.
    Not argumentative at all. Your wanting a clarification. Well, I meant in general, not so much a specific tech. I think many tech. are dismissed or labeled before they are fully explored.

Also, I think it is based on the individuals goals as well as their limitations and natural attributes. What may work for you may not work for someone else and vice versa.

That's what I mean by pressure testing. The individual needs to test that for themselves as opposed accepting what may or may not work based on someone else outcome, whether good or bad.

Also, I totally agree with you on the 50/50 in gi...a stalemate with no threat = boring.

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Oviedo 10th Planet Atlantic Beach
    Keenan teaches a great armbar attack from 50/50 in a gi. Like most positions you have to put the time in to make them effective. People who try it a couple times then call it a stalling move sound like guys who try rubber a couple times then say it is easy to pass because they got passed using it with no experience and understanding. I like what my instructor said...if it works for you, use it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12