Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MA

Heel Hook Finish

Here is my first match from NAGA this weekend. The guy caught me by surprise and hit a quick duck under and got my arm trapped. I have a decent amount of wrestling experience with two years of D3, but I never even saw this coming. We scrambled and I fell right into a triangle but I was able to posture out and eventually get the finish.

My next match was a long leg lock battle that I ended up losing, but I definitely want some critiques once I get the video.

That was slick! So instinctual.

Array

School
    blank
    that was effing slick (as Liam said)

Array

School
    Lookin'
    Dude, that was f'n dope. Super well executed. Damn, I watched that transition like 6 times in a row. Took me by surprise every time, haha, and obviously your worthy opponent. That was like a snake attack...cool, calm and collected, then crafty heel hook.

Array

School
    His hips were quick so I didn't want to spend anymore time in his guard. This is one of my go-to Hail Mary moves.

Array

School
    10th Planet El Paso
    Awesome match!! That dude was good man. That takedown was on point. Props for neutralizing his guard (and escaping the triangle) and for the excellent finish. I was nervous just watching the video! Haha

Array

School
    Here is another match I had and went for the same finish that initiated a 50-50 battle. I know my mistake that led to the submission was allowing my leg to get passed to the other side. Do any of the leg lock and 50-50 experts here have critiques on what I could have been doing to finish before that happened?

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Nice Pat! That used to be one of my favorite entries into attacking the legs vs. a dangerous guard I was having trouble passing. I'm gunna start playing with it again.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    Nice Pat! That used to be one of my favorite entries into attacking the legs vs. a dangerous guard I was having trouble passing. I'm gunna start playing with it again.
    Thanks!

Array

School
    10th Planet SF/Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Campagnola View Post
    I know my mistake that led to the submission was allowing my leg to get passed to the other side. Do any of the leg lock and 50-50 experts here have critiques on what I could have been doing to finish before that happened?
    Not going to claim the "expert" tag, but I've toyed with a few heel hooks and my humble 2 cents are:

1. always worry about defending both of your feet before you attempt to put on the submission. However, if I haven't got my feet tucked away yet I'll still pretend like I'm grabbing for toeholds or heel hooks just to keep them scared and moving while I look for the opportunity to protect myself. This often opens up the other leg if you're quick at switching.

2. Especially in comps, people tend to straighten out their whole body like they are stretching out a lockdown; this aids the guy defending who needs to straighten his leg, "put on a boot", shove his foot through, and come up on top. Better to creep your way around the side because it is the bend in the knee that makes the heel hook devastating. This also makes it way more awkward to try and roll out of it.

But I could be wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast