Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Madisonville TN

Need some advice

Hey everyone,

I'm fairly new to 10th planet and jiu jitsu in general. I've been training for about 3 months now and I've made jiu jitsu a life style, trying to incorporate it into everything that I do. It's something that I want to have in my life until I stop breathing, jiu jitsu has changed the way I view the world.

With that being said, I got some really bad news today via Facebook that the gym that I train at is officially closed down. I'm lost and I don't know what direction I should take. I live in a very rural area of Tennessee and there aren't any other schools near me. I've asked the coach, who I also consider a really close friend of mine, if he would still train me and he isn't able to give me an answer yet. He has a lot going on right now obviously and I will respect whatever he decides. I've contacted a school that is over an hour drive away to see if they have any weekend classes, still waiting on a response.

I guess what I came on here to ask is, how can I still continue to do what I love? Would setting up in my living room with DVDs be an option? Being so new, I think having a school to train at multiple times a week would be the most helpful to me and that's just not an option anymore.

I'm just completely lost right now and I need some advice.

Array

School
    London
    Who is getting the mats from the closed gym?

Array

School
    I'm not sure if Tony is going to sell them or keep them. One of the other students told me today that he offered to buy them but I'm not sure if that went through or not.

Array

School
    Tenth Planet Decatur
    Hey man, make the trip to Decatur as much as you can. I know its probably a couple of hours for you, but if you could try and make it once a month it would be very beneficial for you. Also do not be afraid to train at any school at the beginning. Try out a bunch of different schools near you, whether they are Karate, Japanese Jiu Jitsu, or a bjj gi school they will probably have something to offer you. Because all you need is training partners if you have access to MTS. That's what I love about this system is that Eddie has made it so easy to learn. Those that make an effort and sacrifices in this system will reap the rewards. Since you do not have a moon near you, you will have to put in more work and make more sacrifices to learn. Just keep trying to train three times a week and you will get better. Just go try out any school within 45 minutes of your location and determine which is the right fit for you. Now I would be hesitant to join just any school, especially if they are advertising like 10 different styles, but you may be surprised what they can offer you. Since your place is closed down what you need is access to mats and training partners, they can at least offer you that short term. Or you could just move to Decatur.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Sorry to hear that man. I agree with Skaff above, 100 percent. You should get to 10th planet Decatur if you want to learn 10th Planet and grab anywhere local to get mat time in the mean time. Welcome to the Ronin lifestyle, allot of us have been there, you CAN make it, good luck: )

Array

School
    10th Planet Oceanside
    Everyone from you old gym is probably feeling the same, and of you get their contact info, you guys could buy some mats, throw them in a garage, and continue your training with like minded people thats what i would do.

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks San Diego
    Even if there is judo in your area, that would help. And then maybe you could meet other people interested more in grappling and then utilize the MTS videos more. I was looking at your area and the closest BJJ seems like Cleveland. Keep your head up and do what you can. Definitely make that trip to decatur when you can.

Array

School
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I talked to one of the other students and we are gonna try to get together and train using YouTube videos, MTS, DVDs, and will probably take advantage of Brandon's Skype training down the road. I think doing that and making trips down to Decatur when possible will be my best options right now.

It's gonna be hard but if I stick to it and stay focused I know I can do it.

You guys that are from Decatur, is there weekend classes that I can catch? I'm not sure how pricing and stuff would work with me only attending a class here and there. If anyone has info I'd greatly appreciate it.

Array

School
    Tenth Planet Decatur
    We have open mat every Saturday from 1 to 4. I think the mat fee is 20 dollars. I would talk to Brandon about that stuff. Usually on Saturdays its just Brandon, Lindsay, Sam and I training. So you would get to roll with only purple belts and above for a few hours. While its not a structured class, a lot of technique questions get answered during open mat. Its definitely one of my favorite days of training during the week.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/JKD Institute
    I say you get with the other students. Maybe one of the senior students would be willing to step up to the plate and get a garage gym going.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast