Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Array

School
    TBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    So, what I'm reading is that Joseph likes the IBJJF No Gi Worlds.

Did I get that correct?
    Did you watch the live feed? What's not to like?

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hachey View Post
    Did you watch the live feed? What's not to like?
    I did.

There were a few things to like. I liked the way Miyao went for the kill even when he was ahead in points. Gangster.

But what does it say about a Jiu Jitsu event when everyone is talking about how cool it was that somebody actually came for blood for a change?

Things I hated: black belt finals had 3 straight close outs. What other sport's world championship has a conceded final? That's EMBARRASSING. There's no way to excuse that, I'm sorry.

I thought some of the strategies employed were silly and devoid of the nature of the sport. Getting a takedown and stalling as a strategy? Madness.

In no way am I disparaging these athletes; they are incredible Jiu Jitsu players who would be amazing in a different format, as well. But the format is gross. It's gross.

And for the Black Belts to be PAYING for a World Title tournament entry strips the world title of it's legitimacy. If the tournament is not invite only or open to the best (not just the ones who can afford to get there) then it is not a world championship. It wouldn't be in any other sport, why do we pretend like it is in ours?
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    TBJJ
    I did.

There were a few things to like. I liked the way Miyao went for the kill even when he was ahead in points. Gangster.

But what does it say about a Jiu Jitsu event when everyone is talking about how cool it was that somebody actually came for blood for a change?

Things I hated: black belt finals had 3 straight close outs. What other sport's world championship has a conceded final? That's EMBARRASSING. There's no way to excuse that, I'm sorry.

I thought some of the strategies employed were silly and devoid of the nature of the sport. Getting a takedown and stalling as a strategy? Madness.

In no way am I disparaging these athletes; they are incredible Jiu Jitsu players who would be amazing in a different format, as well. But the format is gross. It's gross.

And for the Black Belts to be PAYING for a World Title tournament entry strips the world title of it's legitimacy. If the tournament is not invite only or open to the best (not just the ones who can afford to get there) then it is not a world championship. It wouldn't be in any other sport, why do we pretend like it is in ours?
    These are the usual IBJJF gripes that echo throughout this forum that, for the most part, I agree with. But refusing to compete on our sports highest stage because you don't like the ruleset is a tragedy. The IOC has all kids of criticism, but I don't see the high jumpers refusing to compete because they measure the jumps in meters instead of just seeing who jumps higher! That's a silly example. My point is that 10th Planet is full of beasts who specialize in NOGI jiu jitsu. It seems extremely silly not to send our best guys forward to showcase the system.

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield
    I think using the example of meters is a poor example....we are talking dq for reaping in black belt competitions. Guys getting an advantage and not attacking or improving after that.
    superherojiujitsuacademy.com
    http://www.defensesoap.com/idevaffil...ate.php?id=327
    10P4L
    F&V forever
    Ps 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Ge 32:24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
    Blackbelt 3/28/13

Array

School
    Tupelo BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hachey View Post
    But refusing to compete on our sports highest stage
    You really think it's a higher stage than ADCC?

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    Gary tonon using the lockdown to electric chair. He uses lockdown the whole match. Just looks like he needs to tighten transitioning from electric chair.

Edit: ah it isn't going straight to the time. It's at the 1 hour 19 min mark.
    https://www.facebook.com/ben.eddy.56 insta #jesushadamoustache

Array

School
    10th Planet Fairfield
    Rules can be changed and should. AJ Agazarm won gold by getting 2 points on a takedown and then purposefully stalling, receiving 2 penalties to burn time before he engaged in the match again. THAT is egregious. The closeouts need to stop. It happens waaay too often.

One suggestion made by the commentators was to have teams on "one side of the bracket" so that they face each other earlier and must chose THEN, instead of the final, where another team would have made the same choice in a quaterfinal match. That way, in the final, when we are paying attention, you are guaranteed two people from different teams.

Final thought: time to go through the interwebs and look up Yuri Simoes fight vids. Beast.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    I did.

Agreed.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Eddy View Post
    Gary tonon using the lockdown to electric chair. He uses lockdown the whole match. Just looks like he needs to tighten transitioning from electric chair.

Edit: ah it isn't going straight to the time. It's at the 1 hour 19 min mark.
    I don't think he's a lefty. So he was forced to play weak side lockdown. It's not as instinctive to play weak side LD unless you really put in the reps. From his transition to the back, instead of using the twist back or just using stoner control, I don't think he puts in reps as much as he toys with it while rolling. But I could be wrong. Might just be his personal preference. Damn shame though. He could've gotten sweep points and worked his top game.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiseop View Post
    Rules can be changed and should. AJ Agazarm won gold by getting 2 points on a takedown and then purposefully stalling, receiving 2 penalties to burn time before he engaged in the match again. THAT is egregious.
    This is what he did to Denny as well. He does it to a lot of guys. One thing I'll give him credit for is that he is a positional beast. His style might do well in MMA. Might. Big "might." Because in order for your positions to really be effective in MMA, you have to throw strikes from those positions. But to throw strikes, you have to have a killer instinct. With AJ's positional dominance, he could be a Cain Velazquez style MMA fighter. But I just don't think he has the killer instinct. He would be more of a Jake Shields/Jon Fitch grappler.

That said, my favorite AJ match was against Tonon in the kumite when he dominated position for 20 minutes straight, and ended up getting RNC'd for all his troubles. Hhaaha.

Array

School

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...115627&fref=nf

Watch Tom DeBlass (one of Gary Tonon's instructors) get ROBBBBBBED!! This is the IBJJF for you. There are Brazilian rules and American rules apparently. Not only does the ref clearly start the match, clearly watch DeBlass pass Comprido's guard, but then he restarts the match, this time allowing Comprido to get an underhook on the leg. Absolutely ridiculous. And I'm expected to respect this org as the #1? Nah. Guys need to boycott IBJJF.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast