Array

School
    10th Planet Fairfield
    Thanks, Jack!

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    My pleasure.

Also, those articles seem to cover a lot of the same ground (although MUCH more concisely) as the threads that appeared on the UG's Atama Forum and Sherdog's F12 (Grappling) Forum in the wake of the publishing of the book Choque.

I think the new English translation of Reila Gracie's tell-all, Carlos Gracie – O Criador De Uma Dinastia, probably also contains a lot of the info on the Gracies' HEAVY exposure to Luta Livre in the early days.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiseop View Post
    Chris, do you ever do a camp so that ronins and other east coasters can get together at your school? Kinda like a camp for those of us who don't have a school nearby? I'd be interested in something like that if you do.
    I host an East Coast Training Camp every year. Next one will likely be after the new year.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan cybul View Post
    i think only master Jean jacques Machado belts transfer to 10thplanet. Not all bjj schools.
    Our Muay thai coach is a purple belt Luta Livre guy and it is pure grappling, but is the opposite of 10thplanet. They look to be on top and westler while 10thplanet prefers bottom position, this is why i dont think it would be pertinet. but who knows is just my little experience.
    I never saw it as 10P preferring bottom. I thought Eddie just wanted to improve the positions he saw as weak for grappling in MMA. I assumed most of our guys would still take dominate positions when using 10P jits in MMA?
    GO SHARKS!

"A conspiracy theorist is a person who tacitly admits that they have insufficient data to prove their points. A conspiracy theory is a battle cry of a person with insufficient data." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

If this shit turns out to be true, I will get a tattoo of a crop duster spelling out the phrase, "Eddie was right!"

Array

School
    Elements BJJ Brighton
    I've tried some LL classes in Paris.

Wicked guillotines, heel hooks and foot locks. Less emphasis on playing off your back, and sub attempts tend to be very dynamic rather than a position first then submission approach.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyBaresi View Post
    I've tried some LL classes in Paris.

Wicked guillotines, heel hooks and foot locks. Less emphasis on playing off your back, and sub attempts tend to be very dynamic rather than a position first then submission approach.
    Interesting. It seems common for jits guys (especially gi) to claim that catch/LL goes for subs before position, from what Ive seen (video) thats not the case, they simply drill subs in series for multiple reasons. If you drill subs in a series then you can faint an attempt even if your not in great position so that their reaction will lead to the next trap you have waiting. Just my impression from videos though.
    GO SHARKS!

"A conspiracy theorist is a person who tacitly admits that they have insufficient data to prove their points. A conspiracy theory is a battle cry of a person with insufficient data." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

If this shit turns out to be true, I will get a tattoo of a crop duster spelling out the phrase, "Eddie was right!"

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    What Brigadeiro is saying there is very true. BJJ has been influenced really strongly by LL. The historical record is really clear on this going all the way back to George Gracie (by far the most prolific fighter out of the original Gracie Brothers) training extensively with the famous Luta Livre/Catch Wrestling figures of his day. Here's how far this went: for certain of George's fights he trained only with the Luta Livre guys and not at all with his brothers.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/JKD Institute
    It doesn't translate. Only BJJ. I've seen Japanese JJ black belts get owned by purple belts in BJJ. The problem is that there is no way of measuring skill across all of the grappling arts. Even at that, it's all about the practitioner. I've wrestled with this in the past, being a JKD grappler. In JKD my ranking is associate instructor 4. That means nothing in the world of BJJ. I grapple well and have been told im almost purple but that means nothing. I'm not at a BJJ school so I'm not even a white belt lol. Something kind of cool about it. Where it hurts is when I coach. My grapplers are now 11-3 in competition but when people ask my rank, I say I don't have one. They look at me like i'm half retarted.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonLucca View Post
    It doesn't translate. Only BJJ. I've seen Japanese JJ black belts get owned by purple belts in BJJ. The problem is that there is no way of measuring skill across all of the grappling arts. Even at that, it's all about the practitioner. I've wrestled with this in the past, being a JKD grappler. In JKD my ranking is associate instructor 4. That means nothing in the world of BJJ. I grapple well and have been told im almost purple but that means nothing. I'm not at a BJJ school so I'm not even a white belt lol. Something kind of cool about it. Where it hurts is when I coach. My grapplers are now 11-3 in competition but when people ask my rank, I say I don't have one. They look at me like i'm half retarted(sic).
    BJJ black belts can get owned by BJJ purple belts too. I think there is a way of measuring skill across grappling arts, its called grappling. I dont believe Jack has any rank and hes like brown belt level.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast