Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericp View Post
    I think the point of the video is that he likes competing No Gi and not Gi. Not that he wants to completely throw away the gi
    yes. This argument from authority logical fallacy stuff is crazy. I'm not even sure what the point of the TS was. This is a no-gi forum. You're preaching to the choir. Of course Pablo is saying this. he doesn't compete in the gi. he hasn't in YEARS and YEARS. He prefers no-gi because he thinks the gi game is going to a place that he doesn't like. A lot of people think so. Even gi players.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiseop View Post
    This turned into a hate the gi free for all for some reason, instead of paying attention to what Popovitch said.

On that: I disagree with unequivocal claims, especially for claiming something through solely subjective means as "boredom." You have both exciting gi and nogi matches. This weekend at the NY Pro, both Lo/Keenan and the Miyao/Grippo matches were fucking awesome to watch. Let's not forget the Rafa/Clark Metamoris match either. On the other hand, you can claim the Lister/Barnett match was boring until the very end, as it was NOT a dynamic match, with one guy always on the bottom. ON the other hand, part 2, the Tonon/Dale match, with its constant movement and wicked ending was exciting to watch. It's just intellectually lazy to make unequivocal statements when so much of it is subjective and so many examples can be shown that disagrees with the premise.
    Agree. By and large I think no-gi is more fun to watch, but you have exciting and boring matches in both. Fun grapplers will be fun to watch no matter what they wear. I hate the fucking worm guard but that Keenan vs Lo match was awesome. I love no-gi but Pablo Popovitch matches are usually not very exciting at all. He's still incredible.

Sometimes I think the backlash of no-gi only people is disappointing, and comes as a sad surprise. one thing I always admired about no-gi heavy grapplers was that they didn't ever finger wave at people that chose to ear the gi. They just said wanted to be respected. They are respected now, but 90% of the online community and way more than that of the community that just shuts up and trains.

Metamoris 4 was almost all no-gi. Metamoris 5 is almost all no-gi. The main event of M3 was no-gi. ADCC is next year. No-Gi worlds and EBI 1 and 2 just happened. There's never been a better time to train no-gi.

Array

School
    Marcelo Garcia
    I finally watched this video- he mentions that Gi is boring and there is a lot of stalling, and dealing with grips.

Pablo is widely known as one of the most boring no gi competitors (at the world class level), who does a lot of stalling. He has also been criticized for using (a ton) of illegal grips against Marcelo when he won his ADCC championship.

He really isn't someone I would use to promote the exciting nature of No Gi.

I know I'm coming across as a hater, but I'm really not- I have literally only watched 3 Pablo matches in their entirety- I'm just sharing what the majority of people in the BJJ and ADCC No Gi community think of his game.

Array

School
    Marcelo Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nall View Post
    Forgot about that too. I love that restart. Okay you wanna do that? Heel hook. never done one before or since then either.

I'm pretty sure Marcelo has cited that match as one of the reasons that he stopped doing absolutes after 2009. I think he said it hurt him more than he let on and that it did some long term damage.
    Marcelo didnt suffer any serious injuries during the match. I'm guessing that the biggest reason for not doing the absolute the last ADCC he was in (2011) was because of their new weigh in policy...ADCC can weigh you multiple times during the weekend.

Thus, it is very hard to compete in extra matches when you are at the top of your weight class (169.5 lbs) and have to worry about making weight again.

Quote Originally Posted by kying418 View Post
    Marcelo didnt suffer any serious injuries during the match. I'm guessing that the biggest reason for not doing the absolute the last ADCC he was in (2011) was because of their new weigh in policy...ADCC can weigh you multiple times during the weekend.

Thus, it is very hard to compete in extra matches when you are at the top of your weight class (169.5 lbs) and have to worry about making weight again.
    I swore I read something where he said that although not seriously hurt, that competing in absolutes over the years has given him random aches and pains, and that he just didn't feel the drive to want to do it anymore. I think 2007 was his best performance even though Drysdale ended the party in the absolute final. But 7 subs in 7 matches while debuting the guillotine and north south choke was awesome. Marcelo even joked and said he still got 8 submissions in all 8 matches, but that "the 8th submission was me tapping." Such a cool spirit to have.

That ADCC (2011) was crazy with the constant weigh ins. Frankly I don't know how some people did it. Ryan Hall came in and wondered "Did I do this right?" he looked so tiny and gaunt, but Rafa Mendes was walking around at the same weight not only looking healthy, but totally ripped and swole. Marcelo looked big for 169.5 and I wonder if you know, did he have a hard time making weight on day 2? I heard some people did but got passes anyways, like Palhares.

I don't know if they had the same policy at ADCC 2013, because there was no press, but I'm guessing they did?

Here's a Marcelo highlight from ADCC 2011 for the hell of it. Making it look easy out there.

Array

School
    www.therockbjj.com
    Wrestling doesn't have absolutes, but it does make you weigh in every day of a multiple day tournament. Often they will give you 1-2 pounds extra each day, but if you are cutting 10-15 pounds, losing tons of water and burning tons of calories that doesn't help too much.

Array

School
    Marcelo Garcia
    I swore I read something where he said that although not seriously hurt, that competing in absolutes over the years has given him random aches and pains, and that he just didn't feel the drive to want to do it anymore. I think 2007 was his best performance even though Drysdale ended the party in the absolute final. But 7 subs in 7 matches while debuting the guillotine and north south choke was awesome. Marcelo even joked and said he still got 8 submissions in all 8 matches, but that "the 8th submission was me tapping." Such a cool spirit to have.

That ADCC (2011) was crazy with the constant weigh ins. Frankly I don't know how some people did it. Ryan Hall came in and wondered "Did I do this right?" he looked so tiny and gaunt, but Rafa Mendes was walking around at the same weight not only looking healthy, but totally ripped and swole. Marcelo looked big for 169.5 and I wonder if you know, did he have a hard time making weight on day 2? I heard some people did but got passes anyways, like Palhares.

I don't know if they had the same policy at ADCC 2013, because there was no press, but I'm guessing they did?

Here's a Marcelo highlight from ADCC 2011 for the hell of it. Making it look easy out there.

While Marcelo didnt have trouble staying on weight for the weekend, I know it wasnt pleasant- as he wasn't able to eat much even after competing on Saturday.

I remember years back when he competed in a Grapplers Quest tournament. He was waiting in the bleachers for hours, waiting for all the kid's to finish competing so he could get on the mat.

I told him I would have asked for a special stipulation that if I was going to compete, I would compete at a certain time...he told me he would never think to ask for special treatment like that. So while I know he stayed on point with his weight for ADCC, I know he also wouldnt ask for special consideration if he had not.

Array

School
    10th Planet Fairfield
    He's a better man than me. At my last tournament, I overheard the directors complain that there weren't enough brown and black belts. I humbly stepped in and suggested that brown and blacks should go first (after the kids). Many of us are coaches for our whites and blues and we have a hard time balancing coaching them while waiting to compete. So they don't compete. I like what The Good Fight organization has done, too, by allowing brown and blacks to compete for free. You'll always have whites and blues competing, as it is new to them, and a novelty; but for many of my training buddies, they stopped competing because it is a PAIN IN THE ASS to pay to wait for 4-5 hours, while barely eating, etc.

Array

School
    www.therockbjj.com
    Just want to point out that US Grappling is awesome and has advanced/black belt competitors go first so they can compete and then focus on coaching students.

USG has also been doing sub only for at least 6 years now.

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    I'm just going to relay my personal experience as it applies. Keep in mind I am in a very isolated market, and teach for free. After roughly 8 years mostly gi, I moved to a location with no BJJ within a 3 hour drive. I finally found a place to train at a muay thai school. Nobody was interested in doing gi stuff, so I dropped it. I had been following 10th planet since 2004 while in the gi. I had years of lockdown in the gi and a basic use and knowledge in rubber guard. I immediately dove deeper into 10th planet to keep pace with no-gi. Over the years a few gi players have moved into town, and have no choice but to do mainly no gi. Since I am very open to the gi, I always tell people that during rolling it is perfectly ok to bring gi's and roll in the gi if that is what they like. Ya know what, it almost never happens. Except for the times when one guy is preparing for Gi tournament, and some of us put on the gi to help him prepare. He brought a pile of gi's from his old gym for people to use and it still hasn't happened. Yes, we are now a hotbox, but I don't think one new person has showed up because of the hotbox, or even knowing what it is. The no-gi has taken off beyond my expectations, average class in 10-12, with some classes going into the 20's. While gi stays nearly non existent, even though we have at least 5 people with gi backgrounds and one "champion for the cause" that would love to have packed gi classes a few times a week. It is an interesting study because we are isolated and money is not a factor. It came to its present state very organically.

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    yes. This argument from authority logical fallacy stuff is crazy. I'm not even sure what the point of the TS was. This is a no-gi forum. You're preaching to the choir.
    As I said, I posted this because it is a sign that "[t]imes are changing when such a high level gi guy of Brazilian origin would openly say this."

I don't know of any other guys like Popovitch (gi based, Brazilian born, 5x ADCC medalist) who have ever said these kinds of things so publicly before.

I think it is a bellwether of a significant shift in perception regarding no-gi.

Of course, I 100% agree that the appeal to authority is non-persuasive on this topic.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast