Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Best Way Jiu Jitsu South Cooast

How Many of You Train Self Defense?

I mean actually drilling self defense moves; i.e. headlock escapes, knife and club defense, pins against walls, standing choke defense, that sort of stuff, old school Gracie Jiu Jitsu.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    All the so called "Gracie self defense" is old judo and Japanese Jujutsu(yes its spelled correct). They didn't invent any of it. But good question.

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    we spend some time on the headlock defense stuff occasionally

Array

School
    10th Planet Fairfield
    I started at a Relson school and we did the old: knee stomp, cover your head, clinch, hip toss or trip, mount, finish combo. It was valuable for me as a white belt to get some immediate self-confidence. My new school does not formally teach self-defense like that. We do takedowns and whatnot, but nothing formal. I'll take a Relson white belt over our white belt if they both get attacked by the same guy, but once each hits blue or so, no real difference, IMHO.

Array

School
    www.therockbjj.com
    I have never really done this stuff and view it as a hole in my knowledge I would like to fill, but I am so much more interested in improving my passing, guard, and all the other stuff I can use on a regular basis.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    This is the stuff we focus on in our beginners program. I really believe in it and think that it's super important to build strong fundamental movements and principles, even if you aren't interested in self defense at all.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    Before I started Jiu-Jitsu a few years ago, almost all of my training was from an old Russian guy. He said there were a few different Combat styles the Soviet Military trained it's soldiers depending on your Region and Unit. He was from Saturn Unit, Northern Fleet (Black Uniform, Polar Bear Insignia). He said there were influences from Japan (because of the shared Island chain with Russia), from East & Southern Asia, as well as from European Regions. Most of what he taught was a stand-up style because the type of Combat they were involved in did not allow for much time on the ground. Lots of weapons and improvised weapons training, lots of striking, lots of situational training (in/out of vehicle, seated/standing, confined space, hand cuffed, prisoner). I think EVERY aspect is important, my old coach said that if he was a younger he would be studying the modern ground game as well, "I was once young and handsome, now only handsome remains" is what he says.

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    My sambo coach will have us practice some self defense (opponent has knife or gun both drawn and not drawn, how to handle a drunk or belligerent opponent) my other ROnin Master Jordan will teach jitsu that carries over to strikes as well (shrimping with your hands up, sidestepping with hands up, half guards that factor in potential strikes).

And I own all 36 combatives lessons on dvd and will watch them from time to time in particular punch block series for guard.

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    I don't do old school gracie self defense, but for the past couple years I've been training CKM which is really fun and helpful. Its based off of Israeli street fighting and military defense. Its really cool too because with some of the things I can intertwine the CKM and the Jiu Jitsu.

Array

School
    Dragon Academy/ 10th Planet Ronin
    Chicago, IL (USA) & San Pablo, Laguna (PH)
    I do a lot of knife fighting, both Krav Maga and Eskrima. I did a lot of self defense going up mainly in joint locks and disarmament

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast