Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Good question. I like a lot of knee slice and half guard passing, so I do like a lot of low pressure passing. I also like a like of toreando and leg drag passing. I'd say those would be my two passing styles. Even with the knee cut and half guard passing I usually initiate both of those from the feet. Anything to avoid the closed guard at all costs. If possible I try to pass away from their weapons, so towards their back so not in front of their face hands and feet.

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    Ok, so it's a mixed bag then. How about this'n:

If you're starting a roll standing against a seated good butterfly/DLR/spiral player, what are your methods for effectively closing the distance on knee slice passes? In other words, how do you shut down their open guards to get close enough to pressure the knee slice through?
    "You know you cannot escape death, but immortality can be obtained."

Array

School
    Cristiano Ribeiro BJJ/ 10P Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Davidson View Post

If you're starting a roll standing against a seated good butterfly/DLR/spiral player, what are your methods for effectively closing the distance on knee slice passes? In other words, how do you shut down their open guards to get close enough to pressure the knee slice through?
    I like to heel toss or club the head into an anaconda, darce, or JNT

Array

School
    Dark Horse SWA\10th Planet Bear DE
    If they are starting in butterfly I usually use a pressure pass. My objective is to pin his legs to his ass and wrap my arms around his legs to kill all movement. from here i usually use the flyover (although I do it slightly differently than the MTS version.) Another pressure pass I like to use against butterfly is to isolate\pin one of their legs with both of yours. Then use your free hand to hop over or pull\push through the isolated leg.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago

Invite them to do it, Get good at your swamp walks, then work a leg drag/knee slice variant.

Or do this

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    Quote Originally Posted by VJ Bella View Post
    If they are starting in butterfly I usually use a pressure pass. My objective is to pin his legs to his ass and wrap my arms around his legs to kill all movement. from here i usually use the flyover (although I do it slightly differently than the MTS version.) Another pressure pass I like to use against butterfly is to isolate\pin one of their legs with both of yours. Then use your free hand to hop over or pull\push through the isolated leg.
    Those are great passes. But let's say you're one of the smallest guys at your gym, and everyone you train with is really good at butterfly guard. Would you still go for the same passes? How do you prevent them from out muscling you and prevent the leg extensions? For me I've found knee slices to be effective, but I think my problem rests with the issue of closing the distance in an effective way.
    "You know you cannot escape death, but immortality can be obtained."

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    Those are great passes. But let's say you're one of the smallest guys at your gym, and everyone you train with is really good at butterfly guard. Would you still go for the same passes? How do you prevent them from out muscling you and prevent the leg extensions? For me I've found knee slices to be effective, but I think my problem rests with the issue of closing the distance in an effective way.
    Catcher's stance passing. It is one of the corner stone passing start off positions in my gym. The stance is here in this video, but all the details and options in passing are something you have to pick up or I guess call my sensei at Summit City Submissions in Fort Wayne and hope he is willing to share with a non team member. I don't mean to be a withholding Watkins, but some things are gym sacred even in the age of the internet when it comes to Jiu Jitsu and it is not my place as a grateful student to give everything away.

Array

School
    SimGo Cobra Kai
    All the great coach's choose to disseminate their techniques and their team's don't seem to suffer at all for it.

against Spiral/DLR like alot of the guys use at my gym i find it very effektiv to use leg locks against them. tho i like to bait alot of my passes and attacks by putting my legs in the middle against a butterfly guard let him sit for the leg and marcelotine him. and i find M1 as a go to pass standing

Array

School
    SimGo Cobra Kai
    Quote Originally Posted by KasperRohdex View Post
    against Spiral/DLR like alot of the guys use at my gym i find it very effektiv to use leg locks against them.
    I really like to leg drag, sit back for the crossbody straight ankle/heel hook and if they kick the leg straight to escape take the pass. The crossbody leg attacks really flow well into a passing game as well as being good finishing positions.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast