Array

School
    BTT Canada - BJJ Quebec

Gangster Lean help

I gotta question for u guys. I have trouble against guys that have experience from this position. People seem to find a way to get into 1/4 mount or even half guard because of the leg that's lower than the other from mount. I tried keeping my leg tighter against his body but still get caught. I don`t want to give up on it yet, sky dive is harder to set up triangles and ect. Just wondering what u guys do to make it better? If I want to keep using 10p techniques like this I need your help. Always appreciated guys. thx.

Array

School
    Indianapolis, IN
    It is an ongoing battle, like you stated on the opening thread. I'm probably stating the obvious, but the same holds true for a lot of positions, I don't stay in gangsta lean at all for that reason. i'll use it to set up s-mount, mounted triangles etc... continuously moving so your opponent won't have time to grab 1/4 guard. keeping the leg tight does help but if you stay there they will eventually snag it. very basic but it works for me. Hope this helps.

Array

School
    blank
    place your foot on the hip like a half monkey mount. it will be harder for your opponent to get a hold of it and you can monitor their hip movement a bit better.

Array

School
    Ronin
    On a related note:

What are the best video resources for the monkey mount / gangsta lean? Are there any youtube videos / MTS episodes in particular? (I have Mastering the Twister)

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Toffolo View Post
    place your foot on the hip like a half monkey mount. it will be harder for your opponent to get a hold of it and you can monitor their hip movement a bit better.
    +1 on foot on the hip. I've found it's efficiently defended if someone tucks their elbow in and works to Jean-Jacques escape to quarter or half-guard. Once their elbow gets pinned to the mat, you should use your body weight to keep it pinned in order to prevent him from going Jean Jacques. The integrity of the gangsta needs to be intact so that you maintain control on his body on all fronts and keep your knee high up on his shoulder as you work to get to the Isosceles Triangle sequence of attacks (for more of that, check out MTS ep. 76). If he swims his arm through and works toward sorta giving you his back, you can take the armbar. I've caught this more than anything cuz a) I'm not as flexible as I'd like to be for the Isosceles Triangle and b) People in my academy that haven't learned the move reallllly like swimming that arm thru.
    Last edited by Arman Fathi; 01-26-2015 at 09:23 AM.

Array

School
    BTT Canada - BJJ Quebec
    thx a lot guys, these r great ideas. I'll keep that in mind for competition in 2 weeks
    Last edited by Andrew Sarasin; 02-07-2015 at 08:58 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin
    I use Gangsta lean to set up my monoplata attacks so its a very shot time i spend there. I stay in sky dive until I get an overhook from them and then I scoop their head up and go either into gangsta lean or straight into setting up the monoplata.

B-Mac has some great videos on this and so does Magnus Hansson. If I can get the over hook for the monoplata game I will sometimes play around with mounted triangles from Gangsta lean but it is all about speed.

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Toffolo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Atley View Post
    I use Gangsta lean to set up my monoplata attacks so its a very shot time i spend there. I stay in sky dive until I get an overhook from them and then I scoop their head up and go either into gangsta lean or straight into setting up the monoplata.
    I do this as well. If you can get your foot where your toes are under their hip, that's great control. I like to slant my knee down towards their body as well and really lean on that other knee. I too like to go to know mount if possible, or work up from gangsta lean to the slow triangle or a mount. I've also been working the dead orchard set up from there. Gangsta lean to almost like a half mono mount, to an s mount, then lock that shoulder it.

I like to put my feet under people's hips when trying to control from mount. I have a lot of success, but I will say this. I hope you like mat burn. :-P
    Be one with yourself and know you can do anything when you are friends with yourself.

10th Planet Gulf Shores Official Website

Array

School
    BTT Canada - BJJ Quebec
    never thought of dead orchard from mount. mono mount? must be hard on the knees, Im still working on flexibility, I gotta be careful not to do too much stretcing if not I screw up my knees. Feet under hips? not on the side but under? I'de like to c a video of that. thx isaac and tori.