Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Wylie View Post
    Id like to see a match between him and Scott Yockel (purple belt) from 10th planet Rochester.
    I rolled with Ryan about 2 yrs ago when he came into Rochester to film the triangle dvds. It took everything I had just to keep up with him and I still got sub'd about 10x in an hr. I ran into him in boston and he says he'll be comin by 10th planet Rochester again. We'll see how much i've improved since our last meeting. Herzog'S been working on some new 50/50 counters that I would love to try.

As far as Denny not being at the same level, I diagree, lets not forget Ryan lost to Mike Wacker in the 1st round of GQ a couple of yrs ago.
    Also the way he rolls to the back when he does his twister roll (pushing off his own) I dont like. Did anyone notice he had to scot his hips closer to the other guy. It could be because they are doing it static but using the grapevine your hips stay tight the whole time.
    And Eddie learned the lockdown from Gene Lebell which was one hell of a judo guy.

Holy Sh... there is so much fail in this thread it is ridiculous, and yes I train currently under Ryan so before evrybody points that out let me get it out of the way.

- Ryan is not teaching the "Twister Roll", he is teaching a set of rolling back attacks that have been used in Gi and No Gi BJJ and grapppling for years and years. The Mendes bros utilize techniques with these same theories at the highest levels of competition - does anybody on here including Eddie think that Rafael should credit him when he shows the technique on youtube, do any of you really think the Mendes bros who grew up in Brazil and won the Worlds at every belt ranking got this mov e from the 10th Planet system. These moves have always been out there, Eddie utilized to get to his signature submission the Twister and a bunch of variations, and Ryan and a bunch of other people utilize it to get to and finish from the back.

- In the clip against Hermes Franca where Eddie is doing the announcing- even he has to pick his jaw up off the floor after watching Ryan hit the roll, and he even comments about how ridiculous it is that he pulled that off at that level. Show me a clip of a 10th Planet player, Denny or anybody else hitting techinque like that against an opponent like Hermes.

- Is anybody on here serious about purples in Rochester or people at HQ's giving Ryan trouble? There are good grapplers and Elite level grapplers, gi and nogi Ryan is in the class with Cobrinha's, Mendes', the best of the best. Ryan could hit whatever he wants on the people at HQ because they would be so busy defending a million other things.

- Eddie I am really suprised you are diminishing Ryans accomplishments winning Bronze because Leo and Rany got hurt. He bet Jeff Curran and Jeff Glover and only lost to Viera in OT after Vierra couldn't pass his guard once in 15 minutes. I seem to remember Vierra passing another 10th Planet players guard much easier and beating that person like 20-2 or something like that.

- In regards to Ryan passing down a match with Denny and saying he is not on his level. Does anybody have a quote from Ryan on this.... or is it just heresay? Let's see Ryan has been the most active competitor in the US over the last 5 years at every single belt level Gi and NoGi. He has the most submission finishes and highest submission percentage over that time period. Denny could have faced him in any one of those events becayse Ryan was at the end of almost every single bracket. In 09' Ryan was hurt for the East Coast qualifier for the ADCC so he went out for the West Coast and walked through the comp heel hooking and submitting every single comp to earn his spot. Where was Denny, or any other 10th Planet player for that matter.... that was his / your turf and Ryan walked in took the ADCC spot like it was his bitch, and went on to claim the bronze medal. So now after years and years after competing every weekend locally and at the highest levels, winning and winning Denny and Eddie want to call him out. Let's see maybe he is at his academy training with animals like Jake McKenzie, Jeff Glover, Abmar Barbosa, Bruno Frazzatto, and Murilo Santanna getting ready for the big stage competition circuit coming up in the next few months. He took that last Super Fight because it was months ago, on the east coast and whether Eddie wants to admit it or not Hermes Franca is a bit of a bigger draw than Denny - hence the reason the fight was at the UFC EXPO - WHERE RYAN COULD GET SOME REAL EXPOSURE

Bottom Line - if you asked 1000 true grappling fans who they would like to see Ryan Hall fight in a Super Fight you would gets lots of Rafael Mendes and Cobrinha's and you would get zero Denny's unless it was from a 10th Planet student.

Also Ryan gets an automitic bid to ADCC 2011, if Denny wants him so bad all he has to do is qualify just like Ryan did in 09, take it out of the hands of the people making the invitations and he will get his shot.

Array

School
    10th Planet Phoenix
    ...I'm also interested in the source of this quote from Ryan with regards to Denny.

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    I like your passion, man. Shit just got real. I'm interested in what Eddie has to say about this one.

look at the comments on this video on youtube...this guy just cant help himself...

GrapplersRus
    4 days ago
    THIS BLOWS EDDIES GAME OUT OF THE WATER. THEY USE SIMILAR TECHNIQUES BUT RYANS IS BETTER. RYAN IS BEYOND EDDIE. 10PJJ GUYS SHOULD LOVE THIS AND HATE IT CUZ ITS USED IN 10PJJ BUT SHOWS A GI BJJ GUY WHO IS BETTER THAN THEIR "MASTER"

aka...Brandon Quick. I know i know...let it die...

Yes Brandon posted that same crap on his FB page, his comment is so ridiculous it's not worth mentioning, so let's not de-rail this with Brandon Quick hate.

Array

School
    None
    I don't know much about the whole situation, but I do know Ryan doesn't do it as well as Eddie. That is obvious who studies the technique for more than an hour. Obviously gaining full control of the leg with both of yours and wrapping the other leg up with your arms to prevent your back from being taken is better than the Twister Roll/the way Ryan teaches it. Simple as that. I'm not questioning Eddie's or Ryan's or Denny's abilities: Not my place to, they are all awesome. What I do know is, doing it the way Ryan does it leaves openings, and he could learn to work it better if he would take the time to control the opponent a bit more. Simple as that.
    To Andrew, I don't think he should give credit to Eddie if he didn't learn the roll to the back from him. I think he could LEARN a lot about the setup and how to improve it from him, though.

I think its petty weak of any grappler who is a black belt to say another black belt is 'not at their level'. Granted their are different levels of black belts...but Denny has a resume. All he had to do was go out and prove it..according to him it should of been easy. We can speculate all we want on what would happen...but no one really knows until they actually meet on the mat...they are the only 2 who can settle this debate.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Peters View Post
    Yes Brandon posted that same crap on his FB page, his comment is so ridiculous it's not worth mentioning, so let's not de-rail this with Brandon Quick hate.
    I don't want to make this at all about Brandon Quick but since you feel that what he said was ridiculous, what exactly was ridiculous about what he said ?

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast