Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Array

School
    www.therockbjj.com
    Marcelo is king, but the one thing that stands out to me about all these passing the rubber guard videos is that you got there in the first place.

I know it's easier said than done, but I'm wondering if folks have more tips not to get broken down, how to avoid or recover if your hand its the mat.

I feel like I've heard Eddie say on his podcast that if he gets broken down he is basically trying to feed the omoplata and taking his chances from there.

Seems like being broken down into a good guy's rubber guard is like having a good BJJ guy on your back...yeah, there are escapes...but it's going to be really tough to get out without getting caught.

One of the issues with the rubber guard in
    sport bjj is getting a guy into it, even to get someone in closed guard is a struggle, so many gua
    guys pass standing, everyone has good posture

Watch some high level matches, guys are not getting put in closed guard that much, its also a reason the open guards are popular, people are standing, moving, etc...

Where in a MMA setting guys will be in closed guard and put there head in your chest like nothing, sport bjj is a different game

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    That's true, Rob. But just like everything else there are tricks of the trade in each of those guards.

Everyone knows Kron's closed guard is disgusting. So how does every dadgum match end up in his closed guard?

You'd be crazy to walk straight into Eddie's lockdown, but every roll... you end up in Eddie's lockdown.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

There is a reason Eddie defaults to quarter and half, everyone has posture, guys are moving a lot

IMO (what do I know though) in this current sport bjj climate, rubber guard isn't one of the efficient guards to use

For No Gi reverse De la riva is probably the best, throw in a seated butterfly also, sweeping is more important and mobility, especially at the lighter weights

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidrob View Post
    IMO (what do I know though) in this current sport bjj climate, rubber guard isn't one of the efficient guards to use

As you already know. Rubber Guard "system" was created for MMA.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack LaBarge View Post
    As you already know. Rubber Guard "system" was created for MMA.
    Yes, exactly, that's why I make sure to say sport bjj

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123