Rubber Guard Problem

Hi guys,

Just want your thoughts on this, pulled rubber guard yesterday morning using my left leg, I pulled it down using both hands around my ankle and POP! My knee went. I'm now limping and it's pretty sore. Hospital advised I had over stretched my ligaments. Now I pull rubber guard all the time and this has never happened, anyone got any ideas or thoughts on this or even some help to get it rehabbed and back on the mats?

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Sorry to hear about that. Hope you heal up soon.

In the future, don't pull on your foot. Focus on hugging your knee, transferring the stretch to your hip.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Madisonville TN
    ^ What Brandon said.

Remember, your hip is more like a ball and socket while your foot/knee is more like a hinge.

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Chicago
    First, I agree with what's already been said as far as focusing on hugging your knee to have your hip take the majority of the stress.

Second, I realize you're asking for help here, but if you can get to a doctor, especially one who specializes in musculoskeletal issues, it would serve you well to get the damage objectively examined to ensure there's nothing more serious going on.

Alright, with that said, icing your knee in the painful area for 10-20 minutes at a time maximum, then waiting a 1/2 hour and repeating as desired is one way to control discomfort. After icing just gently work your knee through its full comfortable range of motion. Do some light stretching around your thighs and legs. If you have a foam roll, you can lie on your back and put it under your knee, then do some end range leg/knee extensions for strengthening. You can also do step-ups on stairs for strengthening purposes. If all that's comfortable, if you're not already doing so I recommend supplementing your jiu jitsu training with strengthening free weight exercises like squats, deadlifts, and lunges to help strengthen your muscles and connective tissues. Always warm up thoroughly before practice, and you might take some time to do some light stretching after practice to cool down, especially if you're feeling tight.

Good luck, I've "popped" my own LCL on my right leg before (my "weak" rubber guard side") trying to do The Pump. It takes time and patience, but you'll most likely be fine.

Thanks guys some solid advice there, sorry its my first post but I was pretty sure someone would have had the same injury at some point. Thanks again!

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    I did this too. Do what Bmac said, pulling on your foot is bad, hugging your knee is good. Also, try to get a good angle on your side, being flat on your back and pulling your foot towards your face is hard on your knee if you don't have good hip mobility.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Similar thing happened to me at van nuys. Got a bigger dude into truck and as I was spinning to grab his foot for a vape he kicked out really hard and I heard a loud pop. The coach stops the roll and asks if I'm ok. It felt fine so I kept going. The next morning I couldn't walk. It's been a month now and I'm starving to get back on the mats but I'm still a bit sore and I can no longer do a lotus.

Array

School
    BTT Canada - BJJ Quebec
    this guy is legit, follow his advice. his name isn't docdan for nothing
    as for what I think you should do well, kind of like dan said if your muscles are cold they are not as elastic so being warmed up before doing rubber guard would be a good idea unless u want your knee to tear instead of stretch. listen to your body, if your knee hurts don't force it, the snaping sound usually means it's a 2nd or 3rd degree sprain (FYI there's only 3 degrees for sprains and strains, tendenitis has 4 but anyways..).

I hurt my knee just by stretching it too much, it wasn't even painfull but rather a bit uncomfortable near the last minute of my stretching. I thought it was weird that my knee was hurting after running so I realized how much stretching I can take. So it might have been from all the stretching as well that made your knee vulnerable to being sprained (teared). That being said u should not feel pain when u stretch. I even found certain stretches more dangerous than others . this one I found the WORSE for my knee because of pushing down on the knee. http://www.exrx.net/StretchImages/Gl...eatedGlute.jpg
    once in the sub acute phase (5days to 3 weeks) u can start doing cold and hot contrast. say 5 mins cold, 5 mins hot. In the beginning do not use hot, it will only increase inflamation. Inflammation is necessary for healing but the body can exagerate so that's why we need to put some "cold" on it. Even that is starting to be a bit controversial (putting cold that is).

Quote Originally Posted by DocDan84 View Post
    First, I agree with what's already been said as far as focusing on hugging your knee to have your hip take the majority of the stress.

Second, I realize you're asking for help here, but if you can get to a doctor, especially one who specializes in musculoskeletal issues, it would serve you well to get the damage objectively examined to ensure there's nothing more serious going on.

Alright, with that said, icing your knee in the painful area for 10-20 minutes at a time maximum, then waiting a 1/2 hour and repeating as desired is one way to control discomfort. After icing just gently work your knee through its full comfortable range of motion. Do some light stretching around your thighs and legs. If you have a foam roll, you can lie on your back and put it under your knee, then do some end range leg/knee extensions for strengthening. You can also do step-ups on stairs for strengthening purposes. If all that's comfortable, if you're not already doing so I recommend supplementing your jiu jitsu training with strengthening free weight exercises like squats, deadlifts, and lunges to help strengthen your muscles and connective tissues. Always warm up thoroughly before practice, and you might take some time to do some light stretching after practice to cool down, especially if you're feeling tight.

Good luck, I've "popped" my own LCL on my right leg before (my "weak" rubber guard side") trying to do The Pump. It takes time and patience, but you'll most likely be fine.

Array

School
    BTT Canada - BJJ Quebec
    to get in more detail on this. Ball and socket = more movement (flexion, extension, external rotation, internal rotation, circumduction) Hinge = less movement (flexion, extension). the knee also does a bit of hyper extension and some rotation when extended but that's it.

So if your glut medius and other muscles are not flexible enough your ligaments in your knees are the ones stretching and u dont want that.. legiments are conected bone to bone, they do not contract and do not have blood supply (avascular) so if u fuck it up it will take longer to heal compared to a strained muscle or tendon which have blood supply.

Think of ligaments as elastics, the more u over stretch them the more they get used up and break.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
    ^ What Brandon said.

Remember, your hip is more like a ball and socket while your foot/knee is more like a hinge.