Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Array

School
    10th Planet Fairfield
    I am not sure. But I'm pretty sure all he would have to "technically do" is alter his black belt promotion date on the application and have that be signed by JJ. ...so it would be a matter of integrity and whether he is willing to submit himself to the IBJJF on this matter. Personally, I'd love for him to go in and rock the IBJJF NoGi Worlds and Pans, at least one year; whether that's worth the cost of literally "debasing" himself for the IBJJF seems like it could be a high moral price. (Moral in the sense of the broad definition of "just" and "personal integrity." Is the gain worth it? How would we define the gain if things like EBI and ADCC are already exposing him?) I'm sure there's a certain sector of BJJers who would need to see him win at "their" game. But if he beats one of their top IBJJFers I'm sure they'd recognize that. The chance, of course, was at a Metamoris, but now with this whole mess, that invite seems to be out. Maybe if Eddie can get someone like the Mendes, Caio, Bruno, et al to go up against him at a future EBI it won't matter. The interest would MOST DEFINITELY be there.

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    ADCC is the real deal. The IBJJF is just an upstart in terms of nogi and has a terrible watered down rule set. I wish all pure nogi guys would just boycott the IBJJF and look to the real world championship which is ADCC.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    IBJJF has rules for black belt competition. I forget the exact rule, but basically, he got promoted to black belt too quickly according to their rules. So until he completes the amount of years that the IBJJF requires, he can't compete in IBJJF at black belt. Otherwise, I'm sure he would've been all up in there.
    Of course this is a newer rule. There has been numerous Brazilians who earned their black belt quickly and still competed in the black belt division. Example: Cobrinha earned his black in 5 years and Caio Terra earned his in 3 years etc. etc. Its a bullshit rule!!!

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiseop View Post
    IBJJF has "time-in-rank" requirements in order to be recognized and to be able to compete in their events. It's a big money grab. First, your instructor must be certified by the IBJJF as a 2nd-degree black belt, which costs about $500-$700, as you must 1. pay for the certificate (~$400) 2. attend and pay for an IBJJF rules event ($100) 3. take CPR training. 4. actual yearly membership Second, you yourself as a black belt must pay the above plus extra "new "membership" processing fee. Eddie is not IBJJF certified, but Geo was going to do it through Jean Jacques Machado. He started the process but was told he did not meet the "time-in-rank" requirements to get to black belt. In other words, he could have participated but only as a brown belt. LOL (There's a minimum amount in each rank that you must remain in before you are acknowledge to be promoted to the next belt.) There are no exceptions; which is strange b/c at any other sport, when you get "called up" to the majors, you get called up.
    I am not sure if Geo has tried to compete in any IBJJF tournament since being a Black Belt (if so than I am wrong and I apologize), but I do remember Boogey and Geo were both trying to compete as Brown belts and got denied based on the "time-in-rank" or whatever you want to call it. They had some posts about getting denied a while back, but that was for sure when they were both Brown belts. I thought they had decided not to compete in IBJJF because of it and have never entered again since. Again, I could be wrong.

Array

School
    Kombat Sports/10th Planet Yuma and San Diego (when in the area)
    My bad guys I got ADCC mixed up with IBJJF Worlds and Pans. Sorry for the confusion because I knew he won all his matches by submission, I just got confused. Obviously then he will represent his killer technique. I'm a little slow at times hence the white belt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12