Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant

Developing Killer Instinct in Jiu Jitsu/Mental Game Improvement

Hi everyone,
    I'm having a hard time trying to articulate this question, perhaps because I've had only 4 hours of sleep and just finished training for 2.5 hours, or maybe it's because I'm hoping to ask this question in the right way. Maybe the best way to do this is to simply state what's going on.

1. I'll find my way from Ground 0 all the way to New York often, but get stuck between NY and trying to Kung Fu move enough to know there's a problem there.

2. New white belts just coming into the advanced jiu jitsu class with any sort of athletic advantage be it strength or size, I either have a super hard time submitting or simply get smashed by.

3. When I'm in a great offensive position in guard like in NY, or in side control, I'm not finishing any subs or positional advancements as often as I think I should be.

4. I think that maybe I don't have enough developed killer instinct which I think can translate to jiu jitsu as "intense desire to maintain control and finish the takedown/sweep/submission." If anyone has pointers on how to develop incremental and measurable killer instinct in jiu jitsu I'm all ears.

5. How does one even know if they're simply maintaining their current skill or declining or progressing?

This game isn't just physical, it has vast mental aspects which I'm sure many here can expertly expound on.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
    1. If you're doing kung-fu it means you've cleared the neck. If so, can you go to Muddy Waters instead? Consider attacking the arms instead of kung fu. How long are you cooking them in invisible collar before you try to kung fu?

2. You're having trouble with athletic guys going no-gi? I suspect that's typical.
    1. I never thought about "cooking" people in invisible collar, but now that you've brought it to my attention, I'll be trying to hang out and hold invisible collar for much longer till an opportunity presents itself.

2. But I believe in jiu jitsu!

I figured me having a few months training more than a really athletic guy who I outweigh by 10 lbs who JUST made it from the beginner to the advanced class would put us at at least even, but really, he just gets me into Kesa Gatami and leg Americanas me at will. Yes, I'm clasping my hands around him, and yes, he simply just pries my hands apart and taps me. This is just one example.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Enrique "Kiko" View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I'm having a hard time trying to articulate this question, perhaps because I've had only 4 hours of sleep and just finished training for 2.5 hours, or maybe it's because I'm hoping to ask this question in the right way. Maybe the best way to do this is to simply state what's going on.

1. I'll find my way from Ground 0 all the way to New York often, but get stuck between NY and trying to Kung Fu move enough to know there's a problem there.

2. New white belts just coming into the advanced jiu jitsu class with any sort of athletic advantage be it strength or size, I either have a super hard time submitting or simply get smashed by.

3. When I'm in a great offensive position in guard like in NY, or in side control, I'm not finishing any subs or positional advancements as often as I think I should be.

4. I think that maybe I don't have enough developed killer instinct which I think can translate to jiu jitsu as "intense desire to maintain control and finish the takedown/sweep/submission." If anyone has pointers on how to develop incremental and measurable killer instinct in jiu jitsu I'm all ears.

5. How does one even know if they're simply maintaining their current skill or declining or progressing?

This game isn't just physical, it has vast mental aspects which I'm sure many here can expertly expound on.
    Kiko I have similar issues all the time. I think what you're dealing with right now is lack of confidence. Just because it's not working now doesn't mean it wont work tomorrow or the next day. The thing about not finishing subs, isn't necesarily a bad thing, but it could be your training partners are getting used to your paths and moves. Try and vary your positioning, to get to that same sub. So let's say I've been killing it with kimuras in the gym. In about a month or two those kimura's don't work as much, however the arm triangle does, Just vary your techniques in training and keep coming back around full circle to your bread and butter. Don't feel bad if you're not finishing guy's in the mat room, just keep progressing through your positions and it'll make people open up.

There is a caveat, If your opponents are solely rolling to not get tapped or defensively 100% and never exposing themselves a little bit, it'll get frustrating.

*My biggest enemy is my own mind, I'm in it all the time*
    When you let go and stop overthinking positions during the match and just let go and let it be reactionary, and instictive you'll see a vast improvement.

Take time after your roll to briefly analyze the positions you struggled with, you should be able to find the answers. There's a reason you're getting tapped in Kesa Gatami, figure out what it is. Javi Vasquez told me this two weeks ago, Try and stay 2 steps away from being in danger at all time. So If hands clasped around his body in KG (1 step from trouble), how can you be two steps away from that. If you can't be two steps away, how can you recover to 1 step away.

I hope this helps you man. If not... lol

Array

School
    Cody MMA
    Solid advice from John; I would add that if you are getting caught repeatedly by the same submission you need to research and vary your defense or as John is saying change what you are doing two steps before you get caught.

For my bit of advice; sometimes time is the answer and sometimes it is hearing the right piece of advice at the right time. Can't tell you how many times I have rewatched an MTS episode an picked up a detail on something that changed the way I previously perceived something or how many times I have watched one of Ryan Hall's videos and had a lightbulb finally turn on for me.

I also believe that competition primarily or visiting other schools is one of the best judges of advancement. Everyone at your school is learning the same techniques and defenses and can feel what you are trying to do. When you roll with a stranger they probably won't be able to feel your setups the way your regular training partners do.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by John Mejia View Post
    I hope this helps you man. If not... lol
    I need to figure out what two steps away is when people are passing my guard to get into KG. And yes, thank you so much. Lately I've been arm triangle and the Americana from KG fodder.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Harris View Post
    I also believe that competition primarily or visiting other schools is one of the best judges of advancement. Everyone at your school is learning the same techniques and defenses and can feel what you are trying to do. When you roll with a stranger they probably won't be able to feel your setups the way your regular training partners do.
    Great insight. Varied partners from varied schools could be a great "spot check" on game development. Thank you Martin.