Array

School
    Gordon's American martial arts

developing grapplers cardio

I've been stand up fighting for many years but now that I'm getting into jujitsu my ground cardio is awful what can I do to improve?

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Grapple until you puke every night.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Just keep up the pace man! I recently started Kickboxing and have had the reverse problem. It was weird to me that I could roll back to back Jiu Jitsu classes but was getting gassed in kickboxing sparring. Talked to a few of my coaches and a few things came up like The pace is different, my body wasn't used to it yet, etc. When I do kickboxing it seems like there is an anaerobic element to it but it seems like it taps into the aerobic more, in Jiu Jitsu There is definitely aerobic and anaerobic elements but I always feel like I've taxed the anaerobic system more after rolling. If you have been doing stand up arts for a while and are already in good shape for those arts, Than this is probably going to be a sport specific thing, where you need to work on sport specific conditioning. I've seen guys who were in good shape go to their first no gi class and get gassed. After a couple weeks if they stay consistent (about 3-4 days a week) their conditioning gets real good because they already had a good base to build from. Also out of curiosity how hard are you rolling on a scale of 1-100% ? Energy efficiency/conservation is a big thing, When I first started out I used to get gassed all the time because I was going balls to the wall every round like it was the championship or something, once I learned how to conserve my energy and not spazz things got better.

At this point Going to class and sparring, and spending as much time on the mat will help the most. If you want some extra work solo drills, If you got a heavy bag I have one on the floor at my house where I practice moving from position to position,side control,knee on belly,mount,kesa gatame/reverse kesa,north south, drilling armbars from mount etc There are some good videos on solo drills on youtube but thats all supplemental it will help your movement and cardio to a degree but sparring is #1

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by John Haddle View Post
    I've been stand up fighting for many years but now that I'm getting into jujitsu my ground cardio is awful what can I do to improve?
    Remember to breathe
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    St. Louis Area Ronin
    Just to reiterate: roll more, and get a feeling for how much energy is required for certain aspects of the game.

Stay mentally clear, which will come with being more comfortable on the mat and in different positions and situations. A frantic mind can counteract a lot of conditioning.

Along with all that, as Brent said, learn to control your breathing. Sounds simple but it is a huge factor and ties in with the other points that have been made.

Array

School
    Cristiano Ribeiro BJJ/ 10P Chicago
    As my old wrestling coach said, "the best way to improve your cardio for wrestling, is wrestling". I think the same goes for jiu jitsu.

When I am not rolling I like to do fun mobility drills like bear crawls, crab walks, sit-outs, shoots/sprawls, capoeira, handstands, etc. etc. …just put on some good music and let loose. You will be pouring sweat like Cain Velasquez.

...and of course the thing everybody knows but nobody wants to hear, DIET.

Array

School
    Gracie Barra St. Peters/10th Planet Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    Grapple until you puke every night.
    I agree with this but for those days when you can't Grapple hill sprints and swimming have helped me the most

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Try to drink 8 bottles of water everyday before practice.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Oviedo 10th Planet Atlantic Beach
    Get real good at defense lol some days just happy to survive. These kids today with their cardio and ample free time to train!