Thread: Introduction

Introduction

Hey y'all, this is late as hell seeing as how I've been part of this site for half a year already, my bad! I started training under Brandon McCaghren in January, I did take a few classes in late 2014, but I was crushed till I almost blacked out one night. That made me reconsider training, and Brandon had to send me a message telling me I wouldn't have to deal with that all the time and get my ass to class.

That being said, I've been seriously training for going on 7 months now. I train at least 4 days a week with the Decatur savages, and I take private lessons from Matt Skaff. Being a smaller female (5'3, 125lbs), I have very little top game. My focus for the past 2-3 months has been footlocks and butterfly guard. I want to be one of the best females in Northern Alabama, and would love any advice from grapplers who have had to develop a game based around their smaller size. How do y'all grapple against a big guy?

By the way, my friends and classmates call me Li. thanks in advance!

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    Welcome to the system! We all go through (and still do from time to time, esp when you're under 170lbs) of being crushed (sometimes it depends on your training partner and if folks are getting ready for a competition too). Def stick with it though, and anytime you have questions I would obv urge you to ask Brandon as he would be the one to best guide you in your journey as the Instructor).

At this point (and not sure how your moon trains, I am a Ronin so I don't have an official 10thpjj to call my own yet) since it's early in your journey (I imagine) focus on the warmups as those will help you with both basic jiu jitsu, as well as the building blocks of the 10thpjj system. Work on flexibility, learning to control your breathing and be calm during rolls, and most importantly have fun and don't worry about the taps. Don't think of rolling as "me vs you" rather "how to do I learn and improve myself and my partner".

My two cents as a 4 year fan of the art :-)

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    I'd stay away from hip locks

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Your story reminds me of the fact that I have an AOL email account that I haven't accessed for 16 years that for some reason is still my primary email that is linked as my backup email for all my accounts...my school account, my work account, my gmail account. In 16 years, I have effectively failed to take the liberty of calling customer support to reset my password. I was at the Apple Store today and finally did it since it was the difference between whether or not I could set up an iCloud account. But God damn. 16 years. I know your post was late, which is why it reminded of this thing that just happened to me right now as I recount it on my phone while taking an Über back to my apartment. 16 years, bro. Don't TELL me you were late.

Thanks for the advice, Herb! definitely using the higher belts in my gym as a resource, Brandon is really stressing those warm ups as well. Dealing with pressure is my weak point right now, I've tapped to knee on belly and even shoulder pressure. I've gotten better at controlling my breathing, but I do reach a point when it gets difficult to breathe and I freak out. I'll get there though!

Will, you offer the most wonderful advice. Thank you for the painful reminder.

Arman, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but I am looking for legitimate advice.. Thanks for the story though, it was quite interesting to read!

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryann Yang View Post

Arman, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but I am looking for legitimate advice.. Thanks for the story though, it was quite interesting to read!
    Legit if you want to set up an iCloud account, you would be wise to set up an appointment at your nearest Apple Store with the Genius Bar. They really did me a solid.

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Quote Originally Posted by Enrique "Kiko" View Post
    From the mouth of the GOAT of jiu jitsu.

Array

School
    bayou fitness and combat sports
    I've got a nasty habit of making it a point to roll with the biggest guys in the gym. At 150lbs soaking wet I'm usually outweighed by at least 30lbs by everyone, but I seek out the rolls that put me on the wrong end of at least a 100lb weight gap. It serves two purposes for me 1. I never want to be considered scared and 2. Trying your technical approach on somebody you cant out-strength is the best way to figure out your go to techniques. Aside from that it also reinforces the "don't try to move your opponent, move yourself" mentality. Hope that's at least kinda useful.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Welcome aboard :-)
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie