Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gibbs View Post
    I grab hands all the time, I try to get some of the hand but even with just the fingers I will grab and control. As Brent said, its way better than wrist control. I don't bend or twist fingers but I will crush them. I'm also a fan of cranking necks and playing knee on face when the situation asks for it so maybe I am a bit of a d-bag.
    Yes I crush then too. I can't say I go knee on face though lol
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Riverside
    Skull riding is probably the cuntiest move ever. Not the best way to make friends at your gym lol
    "Never go full retard"
    Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Periscope @10P4L

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    I grab fingers. In fact, I enjoy it tremendously. I don't have any problem with it. Skull riding I reserve for moments of "education."
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    If your training partners contently make "mistakes" and "ops, only have one finger" which they are twisting on, that is Illegal in grappling and MMA as well as prohibited at almost every gym and the guys doing it I would not consider to be "high level". Probably just jerks. I don't care what belt they are wearing, when a GOOD guy grabs 4 fingers, he isn't just getting one which he is bending backwards.... common, that's not "high level".

If they are making legal grips with multiple fingers, then that is super common and I've even seen the kimora and such taught that way by good guys. And its not really dangerous or illegal. If that's what your talking about then I agree with the others here (that I think were all assuming these guys were making legal grips).

I also hate to see people rep cheating in training, be it grabbing one finger or grabbing inside an MMA glove, whatever. Carful, or that will become your identity, plus, good luck getting real good if your always using an unfair crutch... So yeah, no high level if that's the case, just jerks. Maybe discuss it with the instructor (I would not point anyone out, just state its a problem and ask if maybe he could remind everyone what a legal grip on the fingers/hand is?)

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    I noticed Nathan Orchard grabbing at the fingers when trying to secure more dominant positions during rubber guard. He really goes after it in comp.

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    Skull riding I reserve for moments of "education."
    What would someone have to do for you to go "Professor" on them?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Debes View Post
    Maybe discuss it with the instructor (I would not point anyone out, just state its a problem and ask if maybe he could remind everyone what a legal grip on the fingers/hand is?)
    That's actually a good idea too. I mean even in gi, people do illegal grips a lot without realizing it. For example, gripping the inside of someone's sleeve or pants leg opening is illegal, but some people do it. Sometimes it's reflexive, and sometimes it's on purpose. But sometimes people do illegal grips of the gi or fingers without realizing that it's not legal and.or a jerk move. I've had people that habitually grabbed individual digits or thew inside of my gi sleeves get told by the instructor that it wasn't okay, and they just stopped doing it.

Jiu-Jitsu is complicated as fuck. Especially if someone maybe doesn't compete a whole lot and is a lower belt then I could see that they might not realize what they're doing is an issue.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    I was told once to treat the hands and digits as if the guy were wearing winter gloves with no fingers. Haven't had any confusion since.

Array

School
    Cody MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    I grab fingers. In fact, I enjoy it tremendously. I don't have any problem with it. Skull riding I reserve for moments of "education."
    You aren't grabbing single fingers and twisting though are you?

If someone is grabbing single fingers on me and twisting/bending I will ask them to grab at least 3 at a time or don't do it at all. I haven't had a problem with anyone hurting me after asking. It's the training room not a tournament, no need to injure your training partners.

Yea… just to clear things up I was not yet aware of this 4-finger crush control that seems popular here. I will definitely consider using it once I have a better mastery of the basics. I already enjoy cupping/crushing the toes with Toe Holds and such.

I was specifically talking about guys who grab just a finger or two and yank in a fit of blind savagery. In my case yesterday we were in an open guard position both times. (I have been working a lot on disengaging and quick standing passes lately) My opponents were grabbing at my hands in order to pull me into some sort of spider guard position while I was dancing around. Its now apparent to me that they might have been going for this 4-finger control, but they couldn't secure it and instead just latched on to my index finger and tried to yank me down into guard. (this is why my first thought was to blame the Gi lol)

As far as white belts are concerned I am about as intimidating as they come. I tend to bring out the demon in blue and purple belts. They know I can tap them and they fight for their life to pretend I can't. I say bring it on because I'm feeling ready for serious competition. Like I said earlier, I am just going to focus that much harder on getting underhooks/overhooks quickly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast