Array

School
    No commitments yet

Solo Work/San Jose Meetup??

Hello fellow stranglers,

I'm new-ish to the forum but have been flipping through some threads and see that this is a super rad community! I've been somewhat inconsistent with my training over the years for different reasons. I started at gym in an MMA program so No-Gi was my starting point and is ultimately my first love. I left that gym for various reasons and joined a gi/no-gi school and learned to love and appreciate the gi game. During that time I competed in NAGA and it ignited a fire inside me for competition. I had only trained for a few months before I found out I was going to have a child. This brought on so many life changes and I had to stop training. Fast forward about 1.5 yrs to now... During my break I felt like a mad man, all I could think about was training, it had given my life a new meaning. I am lucky enough to work a job in where I get 6 weeks off in the summer and I signed up at Caio Terra's Academy in San Jose and trained 7x a week, I could not get enough!! BIG SHOUTOUT TO MY NO GI COACH YURI SIMOES, DUDE IS A BEAST! I've decided to dedicate all my physical training towards becoming a better BJJ athlete and to inspire the students I teach to find their physical passion (*If interested I'll explain what I do at the bottom*).

Because of my family obligations, I am not always going to get mat time at the gym right now. I know this can slow progress but I wish to battle that as much as possible. Has anyone worked through a situation like this before? Also, I love the 10th planet style and wish to dive into the curriculum and I am very much a beginner... Any suggestions on where to start? I own the ARG book, but not sure if thats good for a novice like me. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

*I am a PE teacher of sorts at a middle school in East San Jose, CA. My goal is to help under privileged kids unlock their greatest potential through physical activity and thought provoking discussions. Through my own goals, weight loss and progression of physical skill I try to inspire the kids, especially the overweight and under motivated, to see how hard work and drive can enrich their lives.

Array

School
    10p Ronin/Midtown MMA Houston
    I had to drop out of training the past 2 years after having my son as well. I finally invested in some mats and wrangled a group of friends that was interested in learning BJJ to have training partners and get mat time.

We are focusing primarily on the 10th planet warm up series as the starting point. Check out the 10th planet Decatur youtube page for an overview and MTS for detailed breakdowns/updates.

Array

School
    No commitments yet
    will do, thanks Nick

Hey man I know Big Red's school in San Mateo has an open mat most every Sunday at 12:30. Gregor often runs that and a bunch of Red and Denny's killers generally show up.

If you are looking to further 10p knowledge, check out the online resources but first hand tune ups are best.

Array

School
    No commitments yet
    Thanks a ton Alex, I'll for sure drop by if it's cool with them. I'm not quite sure of the etiquette, I've never gone to attend anyone's open mat before. Should I just show up or call the school?