I'm pissing off the purple belts! Help!

From lurker to poster, dupdup

Yesterday was a great day for my jj. It was the first time I felt like I was more then just 'surviving' and actually had some control over my own destiny. My professor took a few minutes to roll with me, at the end he complemented my 'half guard retention' which made me feel good. After that, I got to roll with a purple belt who I had seen teach a class before. I was excited to work with two experienced guys in the same training session. Then something amazing happened.

I used what teacher showed me, and it worked perfectly. I passed guard into side control and transitioned to the back when he rolled onto his hip. It felt amazing. After 2 months, 5 sessions a week of training, and losing to everyone in the gym, here I was applying what I learned successfully on a senior guy. Of course I messed it up, he capitalized and tapped me with a calf slicer, but that's not important. I'm feeling awesome at this point.

In the next sequence I attempted a pass by windshield wipering his knees. Suddenly the purple belt stops, points at me, and yells "Don't rip the knee". I was shocked. He said " If you rip the knee like that I'll rip yours'. I apologize and ask what I did wrong. He then tells me 'You do that and you will get punched in the face, I'll poke out your eyes' pointing his two fingers at me. He is saying this loud enough for everyone in the gym to hear. I'm feeling really embarrassed and still confused as to what I did. I ask him to show me what I did to hurt him and at that moment the buzzer goes off and everyone is changing partners. I never did find out what happened, but I am still thinking about it.

Now I am concerned I am hurting the people in the gym. I don't know what to think, other then I want to be better. Can someone here tell me what I did wrong? Has anyone ran into something like this before? What does 'rip the knee' mean to you? Should I just refuse to roll with the guy?

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Are you sure he didn't say "Reap the knee"?
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com