Array

School
    The world of Jiu jitsu

Exploring 10th planet - coach dislikes but behind my back. Advice?

Context.
    I'm newish to Jiu Jitsu, have a year and a half and some solid hours under my blue belt. i I live in a small town and have liked my gym for most of the time there. To help the gym I've said I would open one day a week when the owner is not there. I have done this very dependably for almost a year now. I've considered the gym time when I open mostly lab time, so working on problems together with others in a fun way - not so much teaching but leading the flow. I like 10th planet stuff a lot and have been exploring it since the beginning. With the new warm ups in place, I've been loving working the movements, trouble shooting and basically having fun. I hear through the grape vine the club owner doesn't like this and is talking behind my back. Again, not teaching, just exploring. On top his instruction looks like no set curriculum, nothing laid out month to month, no instruction around my day being to further the weeks lessons. In fact there has been no foundation laid around what I may or may not do then. He's solid in his knowledge, but his communication and his lack of organizing learning is becoming apparent. On top of this, fuck off, I'll learn 10th planet if I like. The people who have been working on it with me have really liked it as well.
    There are other gyms but I'm reluctant to totally burn bridges usually, and I'm pissed off that his dude thinks I should read his mind or not explore or whatever funky thing is going on up there. I also know for a fact that he teaches internet based learning as something he knows, which I don't find ethical.
    Venting.
    Looking for advice.
    Thanks all

Array

School
    Tenth Planet Decatur
    My recommendation is to talk to him about it. So many times relationships can be repaired by simply talking out the problem and many times there is a misunderstanding. The longer you go being upset at the club owner the harder it is going to be to repair the relationship. You can't read his mind and he can't read yours. Also If you talk to him and you don't like the answer then move on and it will save you a lot of time that you otherwise would have wasted.

Array

School
    Team AMMA
    ^^^^
    www.twitter.com/totalpac

www.totalpackagepromotions.net
    Don't stop dreaming just cause you wake

Array

School
    Lookin'
    Pow, that's the JJ Way right therrre.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Skaff View Post
    My recommendation is to talk to him about it. So many times relationships can be repaired by simply talking out the problem and many times there is a misunderstanding. The longer you go being upset at the club owner the harder it is going to be to repair the relationship. You can't read his mind and he can't read yours. Also If you talk to him and you don't like the answer then move on and it will save you a lot of time that you otherwise would have wasted.
    I'm behind skaff on this one. Not communicating seems like a key problem here that you won't fix by doing more of that. That doesn't mean it will fix all problems but it actually might. Actually talking to someone, rather than assuming what people are thinking, has done wonders for me before when i've broke down and actually done it

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/JKD Institute
    Def talk to him. Could all just be smoke and no fire. I mean, I would think he'd stop you from opening if he really had a problem with it.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Clear and honest communication is the cornerstone to any healthy relationship, whether it's a marriage, friendship, employee/employer, instructor/student, or whatever.

Talk to him. See what he says. Skaff nailed it straight away.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site