Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    The MMA Clinic, Cork, Ireland

Jiu Jitsu frustration

hey guys,

i dont have an ego and i dont mind getting tapped at all but 1 thing that is starting to frustrate me is i keep forgetting the simple but crucial things in like triangles, amrbars and omaplatas too name but a few haha but its coming to a stage where im like fuck this! im only in it about 2 months so i know these things take time and repition but has anyone got any hints or tips or advice would be gratefully appreciated.
    kthx!

-"I may win i may lose but im never defeated"

When doing anything new, you always have to first work on the foundation. From there, build. The beginning of anything always sucks and the thing that keeps you in it through this tough period is passion for whatever you're doing, not dominating or even making it competitive. Once you've got your foundation, that's where it gets really fun and creative. If just going to gym and sucking is not enough for you right now, perhaps BJJ is not for you. Just my opinion.

Some tips on learning techniques would be to watch the simplest explanation of the most basic moves (Matt Serra has an excellent DVD for this). Once you've at least memorized that, then look up a bunch of videos of different instructors explaining the particular move and be aware of any small detail that the other videos may have left out. Just continue to repeat this process and build on the techniques. Black Belts use the same moves White Belts use, they just have a more complete understanding of them. Also, things like flexibility, strength and cardio are huge.

Array

School
    Five Stones Fight Club
    i know how you felt and still feel... like anything it comes with alot of work... if you give up on yourself now you will just hate yourself later. just keep working your hardest remember even the best had to start as a white belt

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    -"I may win i may lose but im never defeated" maybe you should believe in your quote alittle more.

Array

School
    Ronin
    You should probably just give up now.
    formerly known as jmw0582

Array

School
    Meerut, India
    For the first year I spent my time learning the basics. I learned to control my tempo and not get frustrated when getting dominated. I was told that this is the progression: survive, escape, sweep, control, submit (in that order). I didn't worry about tapping anyone for the first few months. I spent all my time learning to survive. I roll with guys that are 50 - 60 lbs heavier and ape strong, but they can't submit me (yet). I have survive and escape pretty good and continuing to improve. Now I am working on making my sweeps work. I know a few of them and can do them in drills, but when I roll they don't work as advertised :-) Now I am focusing on how to get to work for me. If I get the sweep then I go to control the person and then finally submit them.
    I would advise you to make sure you know your basics first (i.e. body positions, basic transitions, etc), and learn how your body works for and against you.

Array

School
    Ronin
    I don't want to seem to cynical so let me try to give you a list of things you can master in two months:
    wal-mart greeter
    checkers
    a lot of video games if you play 8hrs a day every day
    tying your shoes
    ......if none of those sound appealing let me know I'll try to come up with some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Wylie View Post
    I don't want to seem to cynical so let me try to give you a list of things you can master in two months:
    wal-mart greeter
    checkers
    a lot of video games if you play 8hrs a day every day
    tying your shoes
    ......if none of those sound appealing let me know I'll try to come up with some more.
    that didn't sound cynical at all lol

Array

School
    Ronin
    You might find this an interesting read.
    http://www.10thplanetjj.com/threads/...-no-magic-pill

Array

School
    The MMA Clinic, Cork, Ireland
    ok great stuff lads thanks for the advice, and im not for a second gonna give up i know its gonna all come together the more i work on it and i dont give a shit about being tapped i get tapped all the time its just getting the technique wrong alot was freaking me out abit..

anyways thanks again =]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast