Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Pranet HQ Hollywood

Brain Damage in MMA (Gary Goodridge) (sorry it took so long to post this)

BARRIE—When Gary (Big Daddy) Goodridge strides into his living room, the hands that once delivered punches now cradle pill bottles.

Fifteen years ago, Goodridge won his Ultimate Fighting Championship debut by knocking his opponent cold with one elbow strike. The other seven were pure adrenaline.

That fight made the Barrie resident a cult hero in a fringe sport — a 260-pound bruiser who mixed martial arts promoters knew would face any fighter anywhere, as long as the cheque cleared.

Gary Goodridge, 45, was an MMA cult hero, fighting 85 times in venues where rules were often loosely enforced. Friends say his speech, memory and co-ordination have deteriorated steadily for several years.

Array

School
    10th Pranet HQ Hollywood

wait a second man the brain damage definitely isn't from mma. Gary Goodridge was a pro kickboxer. It's basically the same as boxing. Fighters get knocked out then they're stood up to get knocked out again.

This doesn't have anything to do with his mma career.

like chuck liddell said: "A boxer might take 200 power shots to the head in one fight. I haven't taken 200 power shots over my entire career"

I know you're just reporting what you read so I won't be a dick about it.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    The brain damage wasn't only from MMA. But you better believe that any time he was hit in the head, contributed to it. I know we want to tell people that MMA is safer than boxing (which I believe it is) but the dangers in MMA are still real.

This guy was awsome in Japan, im gutterd for him.

Wow this is sad especially if there is nothing for exfighters to get help with these issues too bad they didnt have some type of protection. Say a trainer who stops this from happening or a sanctioning body that has info of when u last got knocked out and will stop u from competiting before your doc says ok. The more these guys risk will go with how much they want to win how bad they will take the chance. I think its a addiction too the attention and crowds once thats gone they see themselves as not being special just regular peeps. Society has rules on who is special and who is not just my thoughts peace.

Array

School
    Team Shark
    well gary goodridge used to do a lot of drugs back in the day too, not making excuses just sayin he's not exactly a case study here

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by zaya View Post
    wait a second man the brain damage definitely isn't from mma. Gary Goodridge was a pro kickboxer. It's basically the same as boxing. Fighters get knocked out then they're stood up to get knocked out again.

This doesn't have anything to do with his mma career.

like chuck liddell said: "A boxer might take 200 power shots to the head in one fight. I haven't taken 200 power shots over my entire career"

I know you're just reporting what you read so I won't be a dick about it.
    I wouldn't say it had nothing to do with it. Gilbert Yvel all but decapitated the man. He's taken some beatings in MMA. But they're not painting the whole picture. Good quote from Liddell though.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Camacho View Post
    The brain damage wasn't only from MMA. But you better believe that any time he was hit in the head, contributed to it. I know we want to tell people that MMA is safer than boxing (which I believe it is) but the dangers in MMA are still real.
    Exactly. MMA is safer than boxing. But it's not like MMA is 100% safe either. Only time will tell, but Couture is knocking on 50 and he's been KO'd a few times in his life. He seems fine.

Array

School
    Back from vacation
    He is black not brain damaged. You people are racist! That is just how they talk.

brain damage years after the incident? i never knew that was possible

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast