16 45.71%
  • Gracie

19 54.29%
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Hartford

Bruce Lee vs Gracie?!?

I wonder if a Gracie has ever fought Bruce Lee since the Gracies had the "Gracie challenge" and bruce lee looked to be the best fighter and fought anyone. Im sure that if he heared of the Gracies or vice versa he would of challenged them to a fight and they would challenge him to a fight... So do you think or have any real accounts on a confrontation beetween Bruce Lee and one of the Gracies? If not who do you think would of won, any Gracie at Bruce Lee's time period against Bruce?

Array

School
    None
    Hah. I think it would be the same. Close the distance, takedown, fish out of water, submission.

Array

School
    Salem
    I'm not so sure about that. Bruce Lee's understanding of distance was much the same as our understanding of it now. He understood in fighting and the clinch really well. And he was so fast and strong. I don't think it would be nearly as easy as you seem to imply. If it turned into a extended fight and he got taken to the ground, Yeah hes toast. But it wouldn't be that easy.

Array

School
    10th Planet Charlotte
    bruce died in 73 that being said I don't believe he had any contact with the gracie's because the gracie challenge was not until 1980. Tho bruce was known to talk to martial artist from all over he could have, but I haven't seen any evidence of this.

Array

School
    10th Planet Charlotte
    If the gracie's did fight Bruce trust me that is something they would want everyone to know

Quote Originally Posted by Frank W. Zellers View Post
    If the gracie's did fight Bruce trust me that is something they would want everyone to know
    this is what I was going to say lol the gracies are a marketing force and if one of them beat bruce lee, we wouldn't hear the end of it.

Array

School
    10th Planet Hartford
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank W. Zellers View Post
    bruce died in 73 that being said I don't believe he had any contact with the gracie's because the gracie challenge was not until 1980. Tho bruce was known to talk to martial artist from all over he could have, but I haven't seen any evidence of this.
    No, The "gracie challenge" started with Carlos Gracie in the early 1920's

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Even though Bruce did have an understanding of grappling and clinch fighting I seriously doubt that he could have foreseen how newaza style ground grappling would have changed fighting forever. In other words, even if he knew all of the Gracie JiuJitsu moves he still wouldn't have been dedicating enough time on the mats developing his ground work because back then, people just didn't fight that way.

Array

School
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaine Stevens View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. Bruce Lee's understanding of distance was much the same as our understanding of it now. He understood in fighting and the clinch really well. And he was so fast and strong. I don't think it would be nearly as easy as you seem to imply. If it turned into a extended fight and he got taken to the ground, Yeah hes toast. But it wouldn't be that easy.
    So you're saying that Bruce Lee knew things that nobody else could be taught or even begin to understand? I'm pretty sure Bruce Lee had students, and those students would have students. Where are all those "magical" techniques or principles, did they end with Bruce Lee? Hard to believe. Gracie jiu jitsu has been taught through the generations and has been proven by every single one of those generations time and time again. Starting with the Gracie challenge and proven to the world at UFC 1. Ground fighting back in Bruce Lee's time wasn't even a concern... Fish out of water no matter how good of a striker they are. Not saying it would be easy to close the distance but if it did happen, there would be no hope for him.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Emir Mehovic View Post
    No, The "gracie challenge" started with Carlos Gracie in the early 1920's
    The Gracie Challenge was known (some what) Worldwide in the 80's. Anything before that was maybe just Brazil and South America. A Gracie would have won by submission.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast