Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: wearing cups?

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Walker View Post
    I always wear one, and banning them in comp is just dumb, imo.
    This X 1000. Mouth piece and cup are like seat belts, you never need them... until that one time that you REALLY NEED THEM.

I have a student that lost a testicle at another gym because he wasn't wearing one. That's good enough reason for me...

As far as events that ban them.... Sure IBJJF, ban cups because they are "cheating" and ban having your foot barely across their hip in a straight ankle lock for being "too dangerous"....

Array

School
    10th Planet Ventura
    I strongly recommend wearing cups. If you are competing in a tournament that bans them, you need to spend at least two weeks without the cup to prepare, otherwise the slightest brush scares the hell out of you - or at least that was my experience the first time I competed without a cup.

It's true that wearing a cup can help you finish an armbar or triangle - but as long as we all have the same advantage it's not an advantage. My testicles are important to me; I'd rather protect them.

Array

School
    Inyodo Martial Arts/Carlson Gracie Team
    The ONLY competitions I've been to that banned a cup was ibjjf. I always wear one and wish those guys that don't would put one on please. If your using your balls to get leverage to finish an armbar I'd suggest getting it deeper and squeezing your knees together instead

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    I remember one of Rogan's podcasts where he's talking about one special cup that goes up your butt like a g-string. He really liked that cup because it prevents the problem of your nuts getting a little bit out of the cup and then getting crushed by the edge.

Anyone know what kind of cup that was?

Array

School
    10th planet San Francisco
    never have worn a cup or mouthpiece for 9 + years/ 90% nogi
    caught 2-3 nut shots in than time
    side note I hate those diamond cups they are pointy and hurt like hell!!

Array

School
    Inyodo Martial Arts/Carlson Gracie Team
    Sorry I can't leave this one alone. Its not only for injury prevention I just hate when I'm trying to check someone's oil and their balls get in the picture. Gross

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Surridge View Post
    Sorry I can't leave this one alone. Its not only for injury prevention I just hate when I'm trying to check someone's oil and their balls get in the picture. Gross
    Funny you mention this technique. I've been working on a defense for it:

1. arch your back and posture your ass up into the check
    2. rotate hips around in a circle
    3. make unbroken eye-contact
    4. start purring like a kitty-cat
    5. smile

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    I wear one unless training for a comp that don't allow it.

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    I wear one because my focus is MMA and they are used in competition. I have considered entering a grappling competition where they are not allowed so I would probably train at least a month without a cup for that. I like the Jaco short/cup combo.

But they are your nuts, so do whatever you want.

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Surridge View Post
    The ONLY competitions I've been to that banned a cup was ibjjf. I always wear one and wish those guys that don't would put one on please. If your using your balls to get leverage to finish an armbar I'd suggest getting it deeper and squeezing your knees together instead
    Gracie Tournaments don't allow cups either.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast