Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Fairfield
    I'm with Chris on this one. I'll add to that that rank is important here. I train around everywhere, with anyone, and although our coach doesn't "recommend it," he understands that it is part of my "to black belt" education as a brown. He's actually really happy with what it's done to my game, but because I had a pretty good understanding of his game to begin with.

There's so many rules in the beginning that aren't rules later (like say, when passing guard either two hands over legs or two hands under, never one over/one under). They're their to help you progress in a particular way; if you go to a gym that has rules that conflict...then conflict can ensue... Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Solicit View Post
    I don't know if I can be of much help, but I currently train at Atos as well as 10th Planet San Diego. I wouldn't say anything if I were you. I would just start going to your local 10th Planet School and act like it's no big deal, which it isn't. I train a couple times a week at both spots when I can. If someone else makes a big deal out of it, I'd say then you have some thinking to do.
    do not do this. Just let your coach know you want to study a little 10thp to supplement your training. Being honest and having an adult conversation is the way to go. Feelings will be hurt, issues will arise. First day I started training with Daniel Gracie I told him I am still loyal to Denny and I still compete under 10thpsf, but I would represent both teams if he allowed. There has been no issue and they have both been super supportive. Your an adult, your coach is an adult. Have a grown up conversation.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ann Arbor
    Coach Herzog is correct. Be up front with your coach. I currently train at one school primarily for gi and at a 10th Planet school. So far so good. Competition is definitely the problem area. Clearly if I am in a gi I'm repping the other school. If I am at a submission only no gi type of event then it will be 10th Planet. I have already discussed with my 10th Planet instructor that I could not do . . . let's say for the sake of argument the IBJJF Chicago Open No Gi as 10th Planet. My gi schools association is big in that area and that I would feel like I disrespected that school. It can be difficult but worthwhile at the same time.

Array

School
    EMU Judo, Final Round
    I can relate to the multiple gym thing as kids frequently end up in multiple wrestling clubs and the awkwardness is kind of similar particularly if you show up at the same tournament. My kids primary wrestling coach however encourages me to take my kids to as many clubs as possible because when you live wrestle with many different opponents you excel FAR faster then if you are only rolling with the same people day in, day out. I would notice from time to time that my kids were plateauing in their development and all it would take was going to another practice somewhere else to get them progressing again. Obviously this is wrestling I am talking about but I would be really surprised if the same benefits would not happen in BJJ and Judo.

I say train wherever you want. Make it clear to people that is what you are doing. Point out to them the benefit of you being exposed to different training partners and how it can only HELP your team when you come back to their practice with the tricks you learned in other gyms.

My humble opinion.

Array

School
    Indianapolis, IN
    before retiring from the Army and settling in Indy I trained all over the country and, on occasion, at multiple gyms but I always talked with the instructors and fortunately, never had an issue. Most actually encouraged it. I agree with Bobby and Coach Herzog in saying that being straight up and honest from day one will serve everyone a lot better. However, if you decide to continue to train at both and decide to compete, like Bobby said, you will have to make decision.

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    Thanks for the help everyone. I took my first class at 10p coquitlam yesterday, everyone there was cool as fuck, stoked go start training there on a regular basis. OSS

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    Stoked to*

Array

School
    Shawn hammonds/Nashville MMA
    Yeah I feel like as long as you know who your gonna rep at competition your fine, as long as you rep your instructor that's personally been there for you the most, and he doesn't have any insecurities about his school why not? At the end of the day it will only hinder or benefit you

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gibbs View Post
    do not do this. Just let your coach know you want to study a little 10thp to supplement your training. Being honest and having an adult conversation is the way to go. Feelings will be hurt, issues will arise. First day I started training with Daniel Gracie I told him I am still loyal to Denny and I still compete under 10thpsf, but I would represent both teams if he allowed. There has been no issue and they have both been super supportive. Your an adult, your coach is an adult. Have a grown up conversation.
    When I signed up at Atos, I tried telling them that I also trained at 10th Planet Vista and want to train at both places. Mainly Atos for Gi. It really seemed like nobody cared or asked (maybe because I am a white belt and new there). My instructor didn't care where else I went and when I competed in NAGA, I represented 10th Planet. Nobody from Atos was competing (they were all at No-gi worlds) so I just went by myself and met up with Walel and Nate and they coached me. My instructors at Atos were happy and didn't say a word about me repping 10th Planet. I'm sure every school is different, but to me it seemed like I was making a bigger deal out of it in my head than anyone else really was. I didn't mean to sound like I was saying to hide anything though. Now that I read it, I gave bad advice lol.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    If you are paying a school then you should be able to train wherever you want and rep whoever you want, the school is making money off you, they should be totally cool with cross training. If you are not paying a school for whatever reason and your are a regular, and you don't rep the school when you compete, then I would kick you out. Taking knowledge for free on a regular basis and not showing gratitude by repping in competition is gross. As soon as I notice a student of mine not repping the team that's when I stop considering ranking them any further. They pay for knowledge not for promotions, that's for students devoted to the team.
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast