Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never Tap

Array

School
    10th Ventura

Never Tap

“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”
    ― Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

"I am truly a ‘lone traveler’ and have never belonged to my country, my home, my friends, or even my immediate family, with my whole heart; in the face of all these ties, I have never lost a sense of distance and a need for solitude---feelings which increase with the years." -- Albert Einstein, Ideas and Opinions

"Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. Everything science has taught me, and continues to teach me, strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death." -- Wernher von Braun

"The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan." -- Carl von Clausewitz, On War

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham
    This guy is definitely a gladiator and what he says is logical and admirable in many ways.

Wonder though, if he'd say the same if he got caught, refused to tap and suffered a career limiting/ending injury? If he's happy with the gamble then fair play. Maybe there is no middle ground when you go at something 100%.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    His body. His choice. It's pretty interesting for him to say, "that's why no one will remember your name." Meanwhile, Matt Hughes tapped and he'll be remembered way more than the guy in the video. Again, his choice, but I prefer wisdom over toughness.

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    He only had one fight after this video

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham / Banbury uk
    live to train another day I say

Array

School
    Team AMMA
    Vid of the fight?
    www.twitter.com/totalpac

www.totalpackagepromotions.net
    Don't stop dreaming just cause you wake

Array

School
    Cody MMA
    If you are relying on some dumb ass ref who has never competed to save you from a career ending injury you are a fool. I would only apply his philosophy at the highest level of competition, title fight, title contention, etc.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ventura
    "Meanwhile, Matt Hughes tapped and he'll be remembered way more than the guy in the video."

Matt Hughes got choked out by Frank Trigg - but he didn't tap and when Trigg let go of the choke, Hughes woke back up and ended up winning the fight. Matt refused to tap and trusted the ref would stop it in time - and that attitude is what allowed him to come back.

[Statement retracted]
    Last edited by scottross; 07-31-2015 at 01:38 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ventura
    Conor Heun is a 10th Planet OG. He changed my perspective on toughness, teaching me that it was largely mental. He had his jaw split in two from the first punch in one of his fights and went on to win a decision, even though his jaw clicked every time he was punched in the face. That's mental toughness.

It is pretty common for MMA fighters to say that they will not tap to a choke. I think Conor may have overstated his position here - I like to think he would tap rather than have his neck twisted out of shape, but his larger point was that he was making a calculated decision when he decided not to tap to a deeply set armbar. Notice that his examples are being knocked out or choked out - the ref can stop the fight in those cases to prevent further damage.

As Conor reports, his arm was really just sprained. He felt that was an acceptable amount of damage. If it had been a truly career ending injury that he was dealing with, I don't think he would have reacted the same way.

Conor realized he could survive and felt there was a certain amount of damage that was acceptable.
    Last edited by scottross; 07-31-2015 at 01:38 PM.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottross View Post
    "Meanwhile, Matt Hughes tapped and he'll be remembered way more than the guy in the video."

Matt Hughes got choked out by Frank Trigg - but he didn't tap and when Trigg let go of the choke, Hughes woke back up and ended up winning the fight. Matt refused to tap and trusted the ref would stop it in time - and that attitude is what allowed him to come back.
    If Matt Hughes got choked out by Frank Trigg, Trigg would've won that fight. Matt Hughes did not get choked out by Frank Trigg though. Matt Hughes resisted and escaped the choke. But when GSP armbarred him, he tapped. And he is a legend. And the guy in the video is not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast