Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Honestly I'm falling in line with what's popular these days, but I stand and pass, as soon as possible. I avoid the closed guard at all costs. Even if I don't do a standing pass like a leg drag or x-pass, I still stand to break the closed guard, and then drop back down to one knee, or both knees. I never attempt to break the closed guard from one or both knees, and I got 99% of my standing guard breaks from Marcelo Garcia.

Array

School
    Dark Horse SWA\10th Planet Bear DE
    Bicep control, stand up, break guard, pass.

Array

School
    Sunbury Jiu Jitsu
    I was just going to mention Brandon's vid but was beaten to it. I can't say I've drilled it enough to make it money but there are some really great tips in it (especially making sure you bring your leg as far back as possible) and this one tip alone has helped me tremendously.

wrong thread my bad

Quote Originally Posted by VJ Bella View Post
    Bicep control, stand up, break guard, pass.
    This - but sometimes when you're really tired and they're bigger than you then when you bicep control, stand up - they wiggle side to side and knock you down again, and you end up in an endless loop.

Array

School
    Ronin @ Full Power Gym
    If I'm against bigger guys and get swept the first time I try to stand up, I'll try lead him towards taking an armbar and shooting out as soon as I feel his legs uncross. I can usually get to either a leg drag position, side control if I duck under the legs quick enough or just get the fuck away.

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Oviedo 10th Planet Atlantic Beach
    It's pretty easy to bait the triangle to pass guard especially if they don't bother to control an arm. Posture up reach behind to open the legs and as they throw up their triangle block at the theigh with your other arm long enough to duck your head to the outside and start your stack pass to side control. Baiting is exciting but requires a good understanding of what you oponant is going to do when you bait. I am real good at getting out of omoplatas so I bait them to pass closed guard but like others have said there is a risk factor.

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Oviedo 10th Planet Atlantic Beach
    In NOGI I also don't like to pass standing due to a greater risk of leg attacks.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinculp View Post
    In NOGI I also don't like to pass standing due to a greater risk of leg attacks.
    Leg attacks shouldn't really be a concern as long as your aware of them. As soon as he opens his guard you should be out (I usually go track star here and then re-engage) .

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by brianspinaltap View Post
    This - but sometimes when you're really tired and they're bigger than you then when you bicep control, stand up - they wiggle side to side and knock you down again, and you end up in an endless loop.
    When you stand up bring one knee inside under their butt (like a log splitter pass) an push the other one diagonally back. Gives you a better base. Also... I don't really care if he goes for that little kiddie double ankle sweep... Just fall to one side an loop your leg over (remember to shelf the knee) an shrimp your other knee an your on your leg lock game.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast