Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield

What do you think?

Is this right? My hometown....lame.

By Jessica Debbas
    SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- Thurston High School will host a cage fighting match, and now questions are being raised about whether a school is the appropriate venue for the sport.
    The school says the event is a fundraiser for its wrestling program.
    This is the first time the school will hold a cage fighting event.
    But one woman is speaking out and says cage fighting is too violent for a school setting.
    However, Thurston administrators say it's no more violent than many other school sports.
    "It's just kind of struck me as a violent activity that you wouldn't want to see near children," said Thurston resident Katie Hairgrove.
    Hairgrove says she's not as worried about the sport as she is the event setting and the audience the school is targeting.
    "We've gone through such great lengths to educate them about street fighting, about the danger of gang affiliation," Hairgrove said.
    The school's athletic director says many people have the wrong idea of what the sport is really about.
    "When people use the word cage fighting, they think of being in cages and animals and whatever, but that's really not. It's a mixed martial arts. It's a combination of boxing, wrestling, Jui-Jitsu. It's something that's become very, very popular," said Thurston High Athletic Director Mike Michel.
    Cage fighting or MMA is described as a full-contact combat sport with the use of both striking and grappling techniques.
    Two guys are in a cage fighting until one person throws in the towel or can't defend himself anymore.
    "It's no more violent than boxing or football for that matter. A matter a fact, football can be extremely violent in the hits that are happening. I mean take a look at the news every day and you talk about concussions," Michel said.
    Hairgrove doesn't see it that way.
    "(In) football, you got helmets. You got pads," Hairgrove said.
    Thurston High School says it's trying to address any concerns by educating the public about the sport and the intentions behind hosting it.
    "In these strapped times, big fundraisers are hard to come by so that's one of the reasons we got this going," Michel said.
    The event is called the Throwdown at Thurston, and it's on April 28.
    Administrators say Oregon State Police will monitor the event.

The fights have since been canceled.
    superherojiujitsuacademy.com
    http://www.defensesoap.com/idevaffil...ate.php?id=327
    10P4L
    F&V forever
    Ps 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Ge 32:24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
    Blackbelt 3/28/13

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Nathan Wallner was on that card right?
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Not surprising at all!!! All it takes is one parent to complain. Football is just acceptable in our society even though it's more dangerous of a sport!

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo
    Nathan Wallner was on that card right?
    No this was a different card.
    10P4L
    F&V forever
    Ps 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Ge 32:24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
    Blackbelt 3/28/13

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack LaBarge
    Not surprising at all!!! All it takes is one parent to complain. Football is just acceptable in our society even though it's more dangerous of a sport!
    Im willing to say that if it was boxing no one would cry about that. It is a legal, sanctioned and governed sport!
    10P4L
    F&V forever
    Blackbelt 3/28/13

Fucking crybabies....

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dewitt Jr View Post
    Im willing to say that if it was boxing no one would cry about that. It is a legal, sanctioned and governed sport!
    Boxing has been around forever. There's still people out there that believe MMA is barbaric with no rules. Its not mainstream in our society...YET! Too bad for the wrestling team!!!

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    The public still needs to be educated.

Array

School
    shadowhouse jj 10th planet ronin
    Maybe that (parent) that cried wolf could do a fund raiser for the wrestling team! Or maybe she was pissed they don't wear da Gi? Not sure what the (parent) thinks she's helping cause wrestling is a rough program to get $ for seems like that at most schools!

That's too bad Mike. Bummer that we are still fighting thru the mis-education at this point.

RW

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast