Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester

Gary Goodridge Diagnosed with CTE/Pugilistic Dementia

Former UFC, Pride and K-1 star Gary Goodridge has a new battle on his hands, but just like his fights in the cage or ring, he won’t go down without swinging.

Goodridge recently visited a top neuro-physician in Canada where he was diagnosed with early onset CTE/pugilistic dementia.

CTE (chronic traumatic encephalopathy) by definition is brain damage caused by repeated head trauma, resulting in degeneration of brain tissue. It’s commonly found in boxers, football players, ice hockey players and other athletes who have suffered repeated traumatic shock to the head.

When Goodridge first got the news from his doctors, it shocked him like it would any other athlete, and it wasn’t easy to swallow.

“You get the news you just have to deal with it, live with it,” Goodridge told MMAWeekly.com on Monday. “There’s no treatment that goes along with it. There’s pills to make it slow down the process, but it’s inevitable.”

Goodridge, who just released his autobiography titled ‘Gatekeeper: The Fighting Life of Big Daddy Gary Goodridge‘, says that he would like to get the word out about the dangers of repeated concussions to other athletes.

He most specifically points to his kickboxing career that took off in 1999 and lasted until early the end of 2010.

“I would like to share with people, but I think most of my damage came from K-1. MMA really wasn’t an issue because there’s hardly any shots to the head,” said Goodridge. “90-percent of my injuries came from K-1, where there’s nothing but head trauma, head injuries over and over again.”

While some would feel bad for Goodridge going through the debilitating disease where there is no cure, he doesn’t want anyone’s pity because if he had his choice he’d do it all again.

Goodridge isn’t a man who lives with regret. Even on Monday when he was playing the new UFC Undisputed 3 with his daughter, watching her compete with his character on the game, he loves every minute of life he has and never looks back on anything with regret.

“I have no regrets,” said Goodridge. “I love the way I live my life, I mean I would like to make little changes, but no, I have no regrets. I loved the way my life was, I lived a good life, and I’m happy with what I did.”

Don’t expect Goodridge to slow down however. With his new book in release, Goodridge is also keeping very busy teaching seminars all over the world.

In April, Goodridge will travel to Australia to do a seminar and he’s always looking to share his secrets of kickboxing, ground and pound and everything he learned for the last two decades with the next crop of young fighters out there.

Gary Goodridge truly led a fighting life and he wouldn’t have it any other way.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    The price for glory! You eventually pay at some point.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Damn thats crazy. Itll be interesting to see if strict MMA athletes suffer with these types of diseases
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    sad, but I like his attitude. That's the reality of the sport. That's a sacrifice I'm not willing to take myself and that's why I respect any man willing to take that risk.

Array

School
    10th Planet Riverside, California
    #
    mighty mo vs gary " big daddy " goodridge --muy bueno ...
    mighty mo vs gary " big daddy " goodridge en el k1 world gp 2004. Predomina el boxeo ... It's tough to be proud of being white when there're dipshits like you ...
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E5DAfakPt0 - Cached
    .Play Video
    More results from youtube.com »
    #
    Gary Goodridge breaks every bone in Paul Herrera's face ...
    In a vid I like to call "Elbownage"... Gary " Big Daddy" Goodridge elbows the sh#t out ... the assholes that liked him destroying a face of another human being ...
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa54sXjToYo - Cached
    .Play Video
    #
    Gary Goodridge - Watch Gary Goodridge Videos and Clips Free ...
    Gary "Big Daddy" Goodridge (born January 17, 1966) is a professional Super Heavyweight ... (2of2) Enjoy! part 1 is here: www.youtube.com FEDOR (31-1) is 15-0 against the ...
    www.videosurf.com/gary-goodridge-25676 - Cached
    #
    Amazon.com: Gatekeeper: The Fighting Life of Gary "Big Daddy ...
    (2 Reviews) ... Fighting Life of Gary " Big Daddy ... Life of Gary " Big Daddy" Goodridge by Gary Goodridge Paperback. In Stock. ... might regret being exposed about. Having watched Big Daddy's ...
    http://www.amazon.com/Gatekeeper-Fig...ddy-Goodridge/... - Cached
    More results from amazon.com »

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    This is the reason why I never like training stand up. No matter what, even the smallest injury to the head leaves a mark. I don't mind living with a kink on my shoulder or knee, but not head. And yes there are many MMA fighters/Kickboxers, who had long careers and they seem to be ok now, but I am sure they are not as sharp as they can be, their brains are definitely not as long lasting as it could have. How can you expect to get hit in an organ repeatedly during training and in fights for years and expect nothing to change about that organ over time. We are not talking about muscle and bone here, where repeated trauma could actually cause it to toughen up. With organs it is usually the opposite.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    No, they harden calcify and toughen up too. Its just counter-productive to their function.

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    No, they harden calcify and toughen up too. Its just counter-productive to their function.
    That is an excellent point

Array

School
    Private Lessons in Houston
    More and more athletes are finding out they have brain damage every day. It's really sad to see these role models have to go through such tragic news, and then some of them ignore this news and continue to compete. There are way too many athletes who end up with extensive brain damage because they didn't stop when they were told they should. I'm studying neuropsychology, and everyday we learn about new cases just like this. I really hope this story helps other athletes see just what could happen to them if they don't take things seriously. If you'd like to learn more about neuropsychology and find out about the programs available to get a degree, check out my website, neuropsychologyprograms.com.